Who Wants to Play?

New Manager is rethinking The Pit's identity.

Who Wants to Play?

The Pit logo welcomes students.

The Pit logo welcomes students.

Cara Gonzales

The Pit logo welcomes students.

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

The Pit logo welcomes students.

Marcela Valdivia, Staff Reporter

On Monday, Nov. 20, The Pit was scheduled to have a Couples and Best Friends Forever (BFF) Game. The interactive game would have consisted of a question and answer game for Couples or BFFs to test how well they really know each other. The duo that knew each other the best and could score the most points would have won a grand prize.

Cal State LA students had up until Wednesday, Nov. 15 to sign up to participate in the Couples and BFF Game. Nevertheless, the list was completely empty and not a single student signed up to play.

Josef Alayra, The Pit and Xtreme Fitness Manager, filled the position after the previous manager retired this month. Alayra explained that there is not a lack of students that visit The Pit. Rather, individuals tend to avoid participating in activities there:

“A lot of our regulars come to do their thing and quite often they will not participate in the programming, but they will be there regardless of the programs we have,” said Alayra.

However, Alayra mentioned that The Pit is consistently near-capacity most days. It is also worth considering that due to the furniture in The Pit taking up a lot of space, there is limited room for guests to participate.

“I think programming to get more people in will do well, but we would be working against ourselves,” said Alayra. “That has been my problem here at Xtreme Fitness because we have been beyond capacity since the first year we opened and for me to advertise even more would be working against our capacity interest.”

“What I plan to do is actually put out a survey about some of the things that our students want to do at The Pit, such as some activities or events they would like to do,” said Alayra. “I am also planning to do site visits to all the local CSU campuses to see what kind of programming they do at their recreation centers.”

On Thursday, Nov. 30, The Pit will hold Happy Hour with music, free popcorn and a raffle from 12 to 1 p.m. The raffle will include a package of two individual $25 gift cards for AMC and Olive Garden. The Pit is located in the basement of the University-Student Union (U-SU).