Eddy and the Golden Eagle

Cal State LA honored with a 2017 Eddy Award.

Cal State LA President William A. Covino accepting the Eddy Award for Cal State LA.

Cal State LA

Cal State LA

Ashlee Navarec, Contributor

On Thursday, Nov. 9, Cal State LA was given the 2017 Eddy Award for promoting economic development throughout Southern California. The Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation (LAEDC) presents this award once a year to the candidate with the highest economic development potential.

Cal State LA President William A. Covino proudly accepted this award during a gala at the new Intercontinental Hotel at the Wilshire Grand Center in downtown Los Angeles.

“As we push our students up the income ladder, we contribute to the economic growth and development in Los Angeles,” said Covino. “We help make this a fertile region, where opportunity flourishes, and where innovation thrives.”

He added that Cal State LA is ranked number one in the United States for student upward mobility and regional prosperity in the region.

A majority of Cal State LA students and alumni live in the Los Angeles community, which contributes to the continuous economic growth of the area. Through its dedication to the public good, the University is also engaged in a variety of partnerships and initiatives to support economic growth in Southern California.

Notably, Cal State LA is one of LAEDC’s lead partners in the 2016-2020 Propel LA movement. According to their website, Propel LA is the “Los Angeles region’s collaborative effort to define priorities that strengthen our economy and foster more widely shared equity and prosperity.”

In addition, the University is working with LA county private sector partners to promote the bioscience industry throughout Los Angeles. Cal State LA has a BioStart program where students learn to be their own bioscience entrepreneurs in a five-week long boot camp.

LA BioStart Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp (BEBC) notes that it provides students with “industry-specific business training to turn scientific ideas into successful commercial ventures that will drive long term economic growth.”

Cal State LA Executive Vice President Jose A. Gomez stated his hopes for the future:

“We look forward to continuing our work with the LAEDC and our community partners to ensure that our city, our region and our state continue to prosper.”