CalStateTEACH: A Virtual Program with a Real Success

The CalStateTEACH program at CSU helps develop technology in education.

Malerie Wilkins, Staff Reporter

CalStateTEACH is a California State University (CSU) online school-based, multiple subject credential program that uses the latest mobile learning technology of iPads, apps, videos and text messages in order to help individuals across California who are considering teaching as a profession.

Faculty arrange approved local field placements and visit the classroom to observe teaching and offer feedback and support. Applicants then work in online sections that are guided by CSU faculty and communicate through the course website and by e-mail. It is also important to note that candidates require access to a computer with an internet connection to participate in the program.

This program has recently been recognized as an Apple Distinguished School for 2017-2019 for its ground-breaking one-to-one iPad implementation.

“As the entire CalStateTEACH curriculum is delivered online, the use of cutting-edge technology is critical to the success of our students,” said Marquita Grenot-Scheyer, CSU assistant vice chancellor for Teacher Education and Public School Programs.

Graduate Andrew Knauft discussed the personal and professional benefits received from his participation in the Cal Teach program at his campus:

“The structure of the Cal Teach Program has been an excellent way to get my feet wet in teaching so to speak. It was only by taking those Cal Teach courses, getting the experience, and finding out what it’s like to share the knowledge that I found my passion…”

Cal Teach Graduate Rebecca Cordero shares why participating in the University of California, Irvine Cal Teach Math and Science program is the best decision she has ever made:

“Even if you’re not one hundred percent sure about teaching, I think it’s perfect for the people that aren’t one hundred percent sure. It’s been the best decision I made because it got me more involved on campus, it’s got me the funding for my senior year.”

CalStateTEACH has incorporated new models of educational technology that stimulate critical thinking, group problem solving and collaboration.

As an Apple Distinguished program, the CSU system has incorporated new uses of technology that benefit learning and teaching, which inspires creativity, collaboration and critical thinking.