New Year’s Eve Done Right

Your guide to celebrating New Year's Eve in Los Angeles

Grand Park and The Music Center's New Year's Eve bringing in the new year with fireworks in front of Los Angeles City Hall.

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Ashley Reyes, Contributor

The final week of the Fall semester is here, and with 2018 just around the corner, Cal State LA students are submitting their last assignments and getting ready to enjoy the winter holidays with their loved ones.

For those who plan to spend their New Year’s Eve in Los Angeles, deciding on what to do can feel a bit overwhelming. Whether choosing a more relaxed scene or a night out on the town, there are plenty of events in Los Angeles that will help make the best of one’s winter break.

For the first time ever, Universal Studios Hollywood will ring in 2018 with a New Year’s Eve In-Park Celebration. Entitled “EVE,” the event will take place on Dec. 31 with theme park hours extending to 1 a.m.

The price of a daily admission is included in the event, and guests will get to experience a full day and night enjoying their favorite attractions alongside a live DJ, multiple entertainment hubs and a midnight firework display. Food and beverages including specialty desserts and 2018 memorabilia will be available for purchase leading up to the park wide countdown.

With the spirit of the holidays still in full effect, guests can resonate within “The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle” as well as toast a final goodbye to the final day of “Grinchmas.”

The Music Center and Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles will also be hosting their annual New Year’s Eve celebration. With live music, food and photo booths, the free event will feature a festive countdown at City Hall as the building lights up in colorful 3D digital mapping.

Don’t feel like driving? No problem. All metro rail lines including the Orange and Silver Lines run 24 hours on New Year’s Eve with free fares from 9pm–2am.

The Gold Line to the Little Tokyo and Arts District Station and the Red Line Union Station are within walkable distance of the event, and the Metro Red and Purple Lines at the Civic Center and Grand Park Station exit directly into Grand Park.

Lastly, the 129th Tournament of Roses Parade will take place on Jan. 1. Although the event doesn’t begin until 8 a.m., camping out on the sidewalks of Colorado Boulevard on New Year’s Eve has become a memorable tradition for many and will most likely ensure a good seat alongside the multitude of floats, marching bands and equestrian units on New Year’s morning.

Actor and Humanitarian Gary Sinise, who is most notably known for his role as Lt. Dan Taylor in the film “Forrest Gump”, will be this year’s Grand Marshall, and “Making a Difference” will be the theme.

Live broadcasting of Times Square will be available for those who wish to celebrate at home, both on CNN’s “New Year’s Eve Live” with Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen or ABC’s all-time-classic “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” hosted by Ryan Seacrest.

Regardless of celebration choice, millions will ring in the new year to celebrate the end of 2017 and look ahead optimistically at the year ahead.

About the Photographer
J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor
From protests to San Diego Comic Con, J. Aaron has covered a multitude of subjects but has a keen eye for Arts & Entertainment. When he is not covering events he is mainly studying as a Psychology major, photographing different aspects of life, working in film production, or enjoying everything the world has to offer....