DACA is Back

District Judge Brings Back DACA Temporarily Until Permanent Solution is Reached.

Supporters of DACA on the steps of the County Administration building in San Diego, CA.

Nelvin C. Cepeda

Nelvin C. Cepeda

Looks like everyone can keep dreaming for a little longer. Last Tuesday, U.S. District Judge William Alsup forced the Trump administration to resume the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in a ruling that halts any efforts to repeal before the judicial system reaches a final verdict.

In recent months, Trump has established a ambivalent position toward Obama’s DACA. He initially ended DACA in order to appease the nine Republican state attorney generals who threatened to sue the program if he did not act himself.

Early in September, Jeff Sessions wrote to the Department of Homeland Security explaining that if DACA were brought to court, it would certainly be struck down:

“Because the DACA policy has the same legal and constitutional defects that the courts recognized as to DAPA, it is likely that potentially imminent litigation would yield similar results with respect to DACA.”
However, Trump seemed to have additional reasons for ending the program. He claimed to act in the interest of “the millions of Americans victimized by this unfair system.”

Sessions echoed Trump’s words in a complaint that DACA had “denied jobs to hundreds of thousands of Americans by allowing those same illegal aliens to take those jobs.”

Ultimately, the Trump administration justified a termination of DACA by targeting the alleged unconstitutionality of Obama’s executive action that initially established the program. This was a problematic argument though, considering that deferred action has been accepted as a legitimate status by Republican and Democratic presidents since it was first publicly defined in 1975.

Specifically, the Trump administration has taken extensive liberties when using executive discretion on immigration policy.

In lieu of rolling back DACA, Trump tweeted that he would give Congress six months to agree upon replacement immigration legislation for the affected 800,000 Dreamers before he will “revisit” the issue.

While rolling back DACA may remove all protections granted to Dreamers, such as work permits and protection from deportation, head Department of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen said that they will not be prioritizing DACAs.

Still, anxiety remains for the former Dreamers who now cannot find legal employment and remain in a state of constant turmoil.

But as of last Tuesday, the state of DACA has changed for the better. U.S. District Judge William Alsup of the Northern District of California in San Francisco ruled that the Trump administration must continue to permit Dreamers nationwide to renew their deportation protections and work permits while Congress reaches a permanent solution.

However, this ruling has its exceptions: Dreamers who never registered under DACA cannot apply. Additionally, they are not guaranteed admission back into the U.S. if they travel abroad.

Trump hit back on Twitter, attacking the court system for its crookedness.

Besides Trump, another president recently commented his approval of Alsup’s decision; William A. Covino. In a University-wide email, he announced the revival of Cal State LA’s DACA application assistance, as well as financial support for associated fees.

Those in need of renewal applications should see the Office of the Vice President for Student Life, in Student Affairs, Room 108. Covino also referred students in need of photographs to visit the Office of Communications and Public Affairs, in Administration 819. These services will be provided at no charge.

Still, the final decision on undocumented immigrants is left in the hands of Congress, and the Court, which many Dreamers will rely on if the Justice Department appeals Alsup’s court order.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “DACA is Back”

1. Mira on January 22nd, 2018 3:41 pm

How trendy finding ways to offer incentives to promote illegal immigration.IMO with a CBO of an estimated of 26 billion over 10 years for these illegal aliens I hope it doesn’t happen..Tweet your congressman and and senator to end DACA, Sanctuary city’s and in state tuition for illegal aliens. OR we get out our check books out. DACA is just like the TPS program (Temporary Protective Status) the goal for Democrats is permanent placement in the U.S. “Deferred” or “Temporary” are just terms used to mislead. These are programs used by Democrats to import as many refugees from the third world as they can then fight to keep them permanently. Democrats say you can’t deport 11 million people? end the incentives, benefits and they will leave on their own by the millions. Illegal aliens demand a clean dream Act. Translation? none or limited provisions for border security. As for the Wall? Chuck and Nancy say it won’t work. The Border Patrol says its mandatory if we want security. I’ll go with the Border Patrol’s advice. Anything Chuck & Nancy want can’t be good for the “citizens.” There is an estimated 800,000 DACA recipients in the US. That is 800,000 jobs American Citizens don’t have or will be in competition for. There not all picking strawberries they take great Jobs. Good enough jobs to buy homes put their kids through college. So when you hear of the “contributions by illegal aliens paying taxes.”

Some of the costs associated with illegal immigration. We’ve been paying this for decades and they want it to continue so in the future our children will pay for these people..

*The CBO estimated it will cost to American taxpayers is 26 billion over the next 10 years. *The cost of educating illegal aliens children is staggering. From K-12 it costs taxpayers $122,000 for EACH illegal alien student. This does not include the billions spent on bilingual education for illegal aliens.

*Now city, and state officials are appropriating millions of taxpayer dollars for legal fees to to file law suits and in defense of illegal aliens being deported.

*2012 illegal aliens sent home $62 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin. This is why Mexico is getting involved in our politics. *30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens. Does not include local jails and State Prisons. At $21,000 per year expense per inmate in Federal Prison—U do the math.

3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens, I repeat 3 MILLION a DAY to process Illegals in the Criminal justice system.

*$2.2Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as SNAP (food stamps),WIC, & free school lunches.—All can be found on google.Some of the costs associated with illegal immigration. We’ve been paying this for decades and they want it to contiinue so in the future our children will pay for these people..

[Reply]

2. John D. Horton on January 23rd, 2018 10:26 am

Kick those coons back to their own countries and they can apply for legalization from there.

The Third World invasion of the West is all based on Communist envy (i.e. the desire of Communist non-workers to take from Capitalist workers). The beggars from the Third World do not want to improve their own countries but would rather beg in Western countries. It is statistically impossible for the West which is 10% of the world’s population to babysit the 90% of the world’s population located in the Third World by moving the Third World population to Europe and North America.

Kick the dirty illegals and other foreigners out of Europe and North America because they stink especially if they are on welfare. Hire bounty hunters to round up illegals so the job can be accomplished in 30 days at $100 / head, dead or alive. No USA southern border wall will be needed if USA bounty hunters are out looking to make a pay check with a shotgun in hand.

99% of fake refugees placed in the USA are Muslim because the United Nations High Commission for Refugees is 80% staffed by Muslims and the Commission is a propaganda and Muslim population invasion agency of the Islamic Caliphate. In other words, it’s a deceptive racket and con-job.

[Reply]

• DACA is Back

Graduation to Take Place in School Gym

• DACA is Back

Culture

The Year of the Dog

• DACA is Back

Culture

Treasure Hunt

• DACA is Back

Divulging a Decade’s Harassment

• DACA is Back

Spying on Student Aid

• DACA is Back

Jittery Markets

• DACA is Back

Culture

Ballet Hispánico: Culture and Community

• DACA is Back

Calling the CSU Out!

• DACA is Back

Attention All Dreamers

• DACA is Back

Facility Face-Off

DACA is Back