More Money for the CSU

A 3% increase in funding is planned for the CSU system.

A View Of The Admissions Building

A View Of The Admissions Building

Thomas Rodas

Thomas Rodas

A View Of The Admissions Building

Ashlee Navarec, Contributor

Last year, California State University (CSU) turned down the largest number of qualified freshman applicants to date, reaching about 31,000 individuals. On Jan. 16, Gov. Jerry Brown proposed a 3 percent funding increase for the 2018-19 school year, but that still doesn’t guarantee solving the issues with lack of space in the 23 campus CSU system.

Out of all CSU campuses, only six can accommodate all qualified freshman and seven can take all qualified transfer students. In addition, according to an article published by the San Francisco Chronicle,  State Education Department records show that the number of qualified high school graduates has actually doubled in the past 20 years to 194,689 students.

The cost of tuition, housing and how long it will take to graduate are factors to consider for students deciding which university to attend. Although the state’s higher education plan encourages all CSU’s to admit the top one-third of graduating high school seniors, deciding where to effectively place each applicant is becoming an even bigger issue than in years prior.

CSU spokesman, Mike Uhlenkamp, stated, “The last thing we want to do is admit students who we can’t provide with classes and services.”

Uhlenkamp added that their worries go beyond just funding for CSU students, but having the proper accommodations for them as well.

With Brown’s new proposal for the 2018-19 budget, CSU faculty leaders finally get the chance to fight for what has been considered as years of financial deprivation.

Typically, CSU’s allocation from the state is about $6 billion a year, but according to the union, CSU requires an increase of $423 million for next year. An increase of $283 million would admit 4,300 students in the fall. Alongside this requested increase, the University is also expecting a raise in revenue by adding a tuition increase. Trustees would approve this increase in March 2018.

As a recommendation by the State, CSU will be attempting new alternatives outside of funding to reduce the number of eligible high school graduates being denied. One alternative is a serious effort to get students to graduate in four to six years, by completely excluding remedial classes for students who aren’t well prepared in math or English that don’t count toward graduation.

These classes, which are intended to aid students along their path to graduation, will be replaced by extra guidance in the classroom. This elimination begins next Fall.

Another method is to attempt to follow the University of California’s system. Unlike the CSU that turns down applicants instead of directing them to a campus that has room, UC admits every single qualified applicant, but it may not be the campus of their choice.

The recent State budget that was passed in June requires CSU to develop and present their new ideas for an admission system similar to the UC. This deadline is in May and implementation for these changes are set for the 2019-20 academic year.