Back to School Health and Wellness

Welcome Week offers students valuable information aimed at increasing health and happiness.

The Student Health Advisory Committee hut providing information on a healthy lifestyle and goodie bags with articles promoting healthy living.

J. Emilio Flores

J. Emilio Flores

Ashlee Navarec, Contributor

The food pantry reopened on Wednesday, Jan. 24 with new goals and priorities for the year.

Sesley Lewis, coordinator for Food and Housing Security and Cal State LA Nutritional Science alumna, was eager to open the doors for the first service day of the semester:

“Our main focus is to eliminate food insecurity.” said Lewis. “Regardless of their needs, students are able to come and receive a bag of food, and we hope to help them succeed academically as well. It’s been growing a lot!”

The food pantry began at Cal State LA in Spring 2017. Since then, students and faculty have been encouraged to donate non-perishable foods whenever they can. Although Monday is the designated donation day, Lewis affirmed that turning away donations isn’t something they do.

“Every donation matters,” said Lewis.

The pantry takes each students’ dietary restrictions into consideration. Upon entering, each student must verify their enrollment with a quick student login, then they can receive a bag for pantry browsing.

Located on the third floor of the University-Student Union (U-SU), all students are welcome to take advantage of the donated goods every Wednesday from 11-1pm and 3-5pm.

The Areas for Donation include: CSI 206, CalFresh Outreach Center SA 113, Dean of Students Office SA 115. Monday through Friday 8-6pm

Health Hut Flu Awareness

Cal State LA’s Health and Wellness center is offering flu vaccinations for only 5 dollars. As long as students make an appointment by phone or walk-in, they qualify to receive their vaccines. Even though people are familiar with the common cold or unfriendly flu, recognizing the difference and how to treat it can often be misunderstood.

On Wednesday, Jan. 24, the volunteers at the Health Hut shared information about the flu virus and encouraged students to learn the differences between a cold and the flu. In order to promote flu and cold awareness, the Health Hut offered free flu kit bags with cough drops, hand sanitizer and tissues.

“Most people really don’t know the difference,” said Stephanie Toledo, Health Education Assistant for the Student Health Center. “When students spot the difference, they can come and make an appointment here or at their local doctor.”

Volunteers and Staff from the Health and Wellness Center are under the Health Hut every week, on the main campus walkway. Stop by and stay up to date with the most efficient ways of staying healthy and happy.