Attention All Dreamers

A recent immigration event on campus informed students of DACA and TPS statuses.

From left to right: Dr. Raphael Sonenshein, Shui Ming Cheer,Jennifer M. Esquivel, Marcos
Montes Robert, Yonemoto Jr.

From left to right: Dr. Raphael Sonenshein, Shui Ming Cheer,Jennifer M. Esquivel, Marcos Montes Robert, Yonemoto Jr.

Camille Jessie

Camille Jessie

Mike Nelson, Staff Reporter

On Feb. 1, Cal State LA held an immigration event where students were informed on DACA and Temporary Protection Status (TPS). There, 5 speakers presented at a forum and followed with a Q&A.

Dr. Raphael Sonhestein, the first guest speaker, spoke about where the DACA bill is currently being discussed in Congress and how it led to a government shutdown a few weeks back.

Legal expert, Shui Ming Cheer, followed with a presentation on the DACA Bill. According to Cheer, there are approximately 800,000 people that have been approved for DACA and many are losing their status every day.

Cheer also spoked about the different legal cases in a few states that will affect the final solution to DACA that may occur in 2018 but is expected to be extended into 2019.

Jennifer M. Esquivel spoke about TPS and asked the audience who knew about the program because most people are not aware of it. It is a government program that allows people from Haiti, El Salvador, Syria, Nepal, Honduras, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan and Nicaragua the ability to work and live in the United States with a protected status due to a war or natural disasters in their native country.

Recently the Trump administration has cancelled the protected status for thousands of TPS recipients.

Marcus Montes, a Cal State LA student, talked about the importance of immigrant students to get involved in student government and on- campus events.

Robert Yomemoto spoke about the Cal State LA Food Pantry and that DACA students should not hesitate to use it if they need it.

Jessica Chavez, a Cal State LA alumna, was at the event and gave her opinion:

“I think it’s very important for students to be informed and aware of what is going on especially if it pertains to them and their access to their education here.”