Women’s Golf Tees Off

PGA Professional leads Golden Eagle’s newest NCAA team–Women’s Golf.

The Women's Golf Team at Point Lima’s golf tournament in San Diego.

Hans Kersting

Hans Kersting

Yamani Wallace, Contributor

Cal State L.A. makes history in 2018, adding the first ever National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Women’s Golf team. The team will be included in the University’s six California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) conference teams. The new team will compete against Chico State, Sonoma State, Cal State Monterey Bay, Cal State East Bay and Cal State San Marcos.

The women’s team will be led by New Mexico native and Professional Golf Association (PGA) golfer, Hans Kersting. Kersting is an 18-year PGA competitor who thrives on his love for the game and teaching others to develop their skills. When he is not coaching at the university level, he can often be found at Woodland Hills Country Club. There he serves as a golf instructor and director of the club.

Kersting has a lengthy golfing background dating back to the age of eight years old.

“I was the typical little kid who enjoyed playing every game and sport imaginable, but the freedom that golf provided made it stand out among all others,” said Kersting.

During his youth, Kersting competed in the Junior PGA Tournament series. He was fortunate enough to call Golf Digest’s Mike LaBauve his mentor. LaBauve guided him to play collegiately where he was able to gain great experience and develop competitively.

“I earned my degree from the University of New Mexico in 1995, and I immediately turned professional,” he said. “I had a group of sponsors helping me out, and I competed on various mini-tours for nearly three years.  After that, I accepted a job as a golf professional at a private club in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  This is when I began focusing on becoming a golf instructor.”

Throughout his college and professional career, Kersting had the opportunity to compete and learn from golf greats such as Jim Furyk, Phil Mickelson, Justin Leonard, David Duval and even Tiger Woods.

Kersting and the women’s golf team have plenty of obstacles to hurdle and newcomer jitters to get through, but Kersting is confident that his team will thrive:

“Our program is going to be built with young ladies who are not only good student-athletes, but also have a passion to be role models in our community. As female college golfers, our team has been given a platform for molding their own futures, but also the futures of young girls with similar dreams.  We will always have a team filled with tremendous character and high standards.”

The Golden Eagle golfers will make their first debut Feb. 5 in San Diego at the Point Loma Reach golf tournament.

About the Photographer
1 Comment

One Response to “Women’s Golf Tees Off”

1. Bill Kersting on February 13th, 2018 7:25 am

I hope you correct the error in this article. Hans was the director of golf at Woodland Hills Country Club before being hired as the women’s golf coach.

[Reply]

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

Aces on the Court

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

LAFC Claims the L.A. Throne

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

Khallifah Rosser: Hurdling to Excellence

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

On Track to Success

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

2018 Los Angeles Marathon

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

Track and Field Reaches New Heights

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

New Kickers in Town

• Sports

Athletes Empowering Peers

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

Lakers on the Rise

• Women’s Golf Tees Off

Soccer’s Record Year

Women’s Golf Tees Off