Downtown Ups the Ante

Cal State LA’s Downtown campus offers new programs to help students graduate.

Evaon Wong-Kim, Ph.D., (left), and Siyon Rhee, Ph.D. (right), congratulate a Master of Social Work-Advanced Standing graduate at Cal State LA Downtown.

PaGE

PaGE

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

As the Cal State LA Downtown campus moves forward with new programs and opportunities, transfer students and working professionals are provided with additional options for pursuing their degrees.

The Downtown campus began offering a two-year program for 20 students of the Masters of Science in Nursing. Specifically, the campus was contracted by the L.A. County Department of Health Services to prepare current registered nurses that hold a Bachelors of Science (BS) in Nursing and educate them to become family nurse practitioners. The accelerated program provides the skills to manage the health of urban families.

The Psychology program Downtown is tailored for prospective students who are interested in seeking career opportunities; including Social Work, Human Resources, Probation and Corrections, Recreational Therapy, Caregiving for the elderly and children and Professional at-home aid.

The Downtown campus has been developing their Psychology program due to a growing interest among a large population of students. The campus has now offers a classroom environment that allows both students early in the program and graduating seniors to take the same courses.

“We typically had one cohort of Psychology students but now we have two concurrently running courses where students that are lower division can join the seniors in their classes with Psychology,” said Jessica Salazar, Assistant to the Associate Dean.

The campus has received applications for various programs that are offered, notably the Masters of Public Health and the Fully Employed MBA (FEMBA) program. It has also received applications for the BS in Business Administration – Management Option and the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Liberal Studies – Professional Option programs.

In Fall 2018, the first students of the Masters of Public Health, as well as the third group for the FEMBA program, will begin classes Downtown. New students will also begin undergraduate programs for the BS in Business Administration – Management Option and the BA in Liberal Studies – Professional Option.

The Downtown campus also offers Certificate and Professional Training Programs in Paralegal Studies, Project Management and Pharmacy Technician. It is currently in its development stage for the launch of a BS in Hospitality program in Spring 2019.

As the 2017-2018 academic year ends, students who are reaching the end of their programs at the campus are preparing to graduate. 20 students from the inaugural FEMBA program have submitted their 2018 Spring graduation applications while 26 students from the Master of Social Work – advanced standing (MSW-AS) program have applied for graduation this Spring. This would mark the 2nd group in MSW-AS to graduate from the downtown campus.

Approximately 20 students from undergraduate programs, such as BA in Liberal Studies, BA in Psychology, and BS in Business Administration, have also applied for Graduation this Summer.

“Overall, Cal State LA Downtown is growing at a fast pace as people, especially those living and working in downtown L.A., discover the new campus,” said Eric A. Bullard, Ph.D., Dean of the College of Professional and Global Education. “Students, faculty and staff have merged together to create a positive and productive academic environment to realize academic pursuits and achievements.”