City of LA Honors Black Journalists

Professor Anthony Cox among local journalists honored by Los Angeles City Councilmen.

Anthony Cox (far left) stands alongside Bevery White of KNBC and Pat Harvey of KCBS as City Council President Herb Wesson speaks at Black History Month kickoff.

Susan Cox

Susan Cox

Erron Franklin, Editor-in-Chief

To kick-off Black History Month, LA City Council President Herb Wesson recently recognized the Los Angeles chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ-LA). This honor is part of a City Hall display, entitled “Write in America” paying homage to local Black journalists.

Wesson writes: “It was not always the case we could turn on TV and see people that looked like us. That’s why it was so important to me that this year’s Black History Month City Hall exhibit focus on African-American journalism in Los Angeles and beyond

Anthony Cox, Associate Chair of Journalism at Cal State LA, is a founding member and the first president of NABJ-LA. He attended the ceremony last Tuesday along with other prominent journalists from SoCal.

“The work we began as a black journalist organization nearly four decades ago continues today because many of the problems we faced back then continue today,” Cox said.

The President of NABJ, the national organization, Sarah Glover, expressed her gratitude to the local chapter in a written statement:

“I salute all the NABJ-LA chapter presidents for their unwavering commitment to the cause of the Fourth Estate and for their advocacy to ensure diverse voices are represented and untold stories are told everyday.”

The “Write in America” display is located on the 3rd floor of City Hall and can be accessed via the Henry Rio Bridge. It is free and open for public viewing until the end of February.