Cal State LA Graduation to Take Place in School Gym

Commencement ceremonies to be held indoors amid temperature concerns.

Erron Franklin, Editor-in-Chief

In about ninety days the first group of Cal State LA seniors and graduate students will walk across the stage to receive their degrees and shake hands with the president. However, unlike previous years, the 2018 commencement ceremonies are scheduled to take place inside the University Gymnasium located at the Billie Jean King Sports Complex.

The University has moved the celebration indoors as a safety precaution and to provide a more enjoyable experience for everyone. But that decision is getting mixed reactions from students. Last year commencement took place on the field, with those who attended were in the sun and in sweltering heat.

According to the Commencement & University Events Manager James Cuaresma, “Temperatures during the 2017 Commencement ceremonies reached the 90s, causing heat-related issues for our students and guests. Over the three days, our standby emergency medical team responded to about 30 calls. Some people were transported to medical facilities.”

Sebastian Lockett, who majors in Communication, believes the gymnasium is tacky and the idea that the decision was made in the name of safety is just an excuse to save money.

“Having the graduation in the school gym is not only tacky, but it makes one feel like they are back in high school,” he said. “Sounds like a silly excuse in order to save money, time, and man power.

The announcement about the changes was first made to University staff in an email sent by President William Covino in October of last year.

“As we plan for 2018, we have made some changes to the event to create a safer environment for our students and their families. In consultation with the Executive Committee of the Academic Senate and the Honors Convocation and Commencement Committee, we have agreed to hold the ceremonies indoors in the University Gymnasium.”

Although upgrades to the facility, in preparation  for commencement, haven’t been mentioned or confirmed, Cuaresma noted that “The commencement planning team made various recommendations to facilitate the ceremonies in the gym that will still provide the celebratory and ceremonial atmosphere as when it was in our stadium.”

Planning for the 2018 Commencement started last summer, and the commencement planning team has been working with the colleges and various departments on campus since fall regarding details. For more on graduation please visit www.calstatela.edu/commncencement .

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Cal State LA Graduation to Take Place in School Gym”

1. Irene Campana on February 21st, 2018 3:38 am

Why wouldn’t we look for indoor venue near the University or why not use the theater on campus? I don’t know what the layout is but it would seem a better idea than a gymnasium.

[Reply]

2. Alicia on February 22nd, 2018 7:51 pm

That’s going to make for some pretty ugly photos. I feel cheated.

[Reply]

3. Mariey on March 13th, 2018 11:43 am

I feel like I’m getting ready for a kindergarten promotion. Didn’t I just pay $30 to walk? Where is all that money going?

[Reply]

4. Triny on April 28th, 2018 2:04 pm

This university has been a disappointing experience. It is upsetting to have our last moment be remember in a gym. The university should move the venue seeing that so many students against the Venue being at the gym. This show how the Cal State LA have no regards for their students.

[Reply]

5. Jim on May 22nd, 2018 12:11 pm

Looking at the final product, so disappointing. Some of the groups graduating where so small that it looks like a half empty gym and just overall terrible. There was no feeling of graduation, in past years they had all the students out there and it looked like a huge celebration with lots of people and family. I feel sorry for all the students graduating this year..they got cheated out of a nice graduation.

[Reply]