Rewarding Scholars

Recent fellowship funding helps Golden Eagles to soar.

Rewarding Scholars

Sara Beeby preparing the room for local discussion and participation.

Thomas Rodas

Thomas Rodas

Thomas Rodas

Mary Pace, Contributor

Cal State LA’s  Center for the Study of Genders and Sexualities (CSGS) celebrated its faculty and student scholars as well as upcoming opportunities for student project funding last Thursday.

Professor Benjamin Bateman introduced CSGS’s newest fellowship opportunity. The funding is open to any Cal State LA student from any major who is working on projects that revolve around gender and sexuality studies. They may apply for an award of up to $500, which can be used to help with production and materials.

“CSGS does not just support scholarly articles, but also promotes creative works as part of what the department does,” said Prof. Bateman.  “The CSGS provides support for faculty but also for students to do research. We have opportunities for that.”

Some Cal State LA faculty members were present to discuss their current projects:

Professor Libby Lewis, a former television news anchor for CBS and NBC, is studying a different take on the media and its operation. Her project, which is still in-the-making, focuses on analyzing the current presidential administration and its effect on journalism:

“I really want to see how journalists approach reporting their media and how they struggle,” said Lewis. “I also look at this in terms of navigating their struggles, but also how they approach stories about Donald Trump.”

Professor Sarah Beeby is an animation artist who established herself as a prominent figure in fashion animation. She is interested in the union of animation, fashion and art and uses her skill in different animation forms to poetically explore the uncertain space between what we know and what can never be known.

She presented a short video, “Bloom”. Inspired by a quotation from Oscar Wilde who once said “Everything in life is about sex, except sex, sex is about power,” Bloom is an animated docu-fiction about the nature of sexual desire through one woman’s experiences and conversations.

As the video ended, the narrator whispered, “The only thing that is real is what you feel.”

“I think that’s a great message,” said Lewis. “Being that there was this torment of the mind trying to hijack one’s feelings. So I thought that was wonderful.”

A conversation among the audience followed as topics such as consent, experiences, and the person was explored in the video.

Raul Meneses, a graduate student studying Educational Foundations with the Charter College of Education, found the event to be very enriching:

“I received an email saying there was an open house, and I did not expect there to be a presentation on animation,” said Meneses.

He felt that the event helped to clarify gender and sexuality.

“I thought the information was good and it discussed a lot about genders and sexualities and how we are in control,” Raul added. “I wish the event had an abstract introduction component for people like myself who do not have experience in art…I did understand that it was trying to blend or question power relations in terms of sex, sexuality and gender.”

Students interested in receiving funding for their research may turn in a proposal to the Center of the Studies of Genders and Sexuality by March 5. Students who receive an award will have the opportunity to present their research on April 20th.