Holy Zombies, Monsters and Aliens!!!

Eagle-Con 2018 is anticipating many attendees, cosplay, surprise guests and a weekend full of fun.

Holy Zombies, Monsters and Aliens!!!

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

Eagle-Con returns to the University this year from March 8-10, offering educational opportunities and engaging activities.

This year’s Eagle-Con is implementing a Science Fiction approach to the convention experience with the theme of Monsters, Aliens and Others… that fit into the realm.

Patrick Sharp, the faculty director of Eagle-Con, integrates the theme of Science Fiction in a way that invites students to look at aliens and monsters from a new perspective:

“Science Fiction and Fantasy has always been a way of questioning the assumptions we have about the people that we sometimes see as other or alien or as monstrous. We’ve got panels this year looking at trans identity and science fiction; looking at disability in relationship to science fiction and looking at race in relationship to the concept of the alien and the monstrous.”

Sharp strategically planned the date of Eagle-Con to be after the Academy Awards so guests from various guilds in the entertainment industry would be free of any commitments and could attend the event.

The star-studded guest line-up will feature the writers for television shows and comics such as Arrow, Marvel’s Agent Carter, Daredevil and the new installation of Vampire Hunter D.

Other guests include Deborah Nadoolman Landis, the founding director and chair of the David C. Copley Center for Costume Design. Notably, Landis was the costume designer for Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Special Guest Nalo Hopkinson will be receiving this year’s Octavia Butler Award.

Eagle-Con is also implementing contests aimed toward student creativity with the student film festival and the student writing contest.

“We’ve got a good four or five entries for both those contests who will be able to highlight creative student science fiction work for the first time,” said Sharp. “We’re going to have the film and animation faculty judge those and then there’ll also be guild members there to give feedback.”

The Art Directors Guild will be returning with their installation of various artworks from film, television and comic books. Opening Saturday, this year’s event will expand their exhibition hall to the Golden Eagle Ballroom, making room for merchants and vendors from Frank & Son Collectible Show, Southland Ghostbusters and several guilds.

The final day of Eagle-Con will feature a Zombie Crawl, which is similar to San Diego Comic Con’s annual zombie walk.

“It’s not a race,” said Sharp. “It’s who can be a shambling zombie through the event. We’re going for style, costume and makeup.”

Being in costume is also an important characteristic of any convention and Sharp is encouraging attendees to come dressed as their favorite characters. Eagle-Con will be hosting two separate cosplay competitions for kids and general attendees who come dressed as their favorite characters on Saturday.

The first two days of Eagle-Con will hold free panels and discussions on the third floor of the University-Student Union (U-SU).

Admission for Cal State LA faculty, staff, students, and alumni and their family members on Saturday will be $5. Admission for other guests will be $10 and children under the age of 10 attend for free.

About the Photographer