Black Panther Pounces into Theatres

Superhero film "Black Panther" breaks financial records while furthering the shift of Hollywood public consciousness of race and gender.

Chadwick Boseman portrays heroic figure Black Panther.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Richard Tzul, Contributor

Roaring into theaters, “Black Panther” is shattering records left and right all while making an impact on the U.S.’ political and social climate.

Many Marvel films experience massive popularity, but “Black Panther” in particular has struck a chord for its representation of people of color and women. It’s also the highest grossing film by a black director–Ryan Coogler.

“It shouldn’t take a movie like this to let us know people of color are capable of amazing feats of filmmaking and acting,” said Dan Deleon, a Cal State LA film major. “I think this is the time now for more of these type of movies to come out.”

The film is the latest in the ongoing trend of superhero films. If so-called superhero fatigue is a real thing among audiences, “Black Panther” displayed immunity to that as it’s gone on to have the biggest box office opening for a February release. It’s also the fifth biggest opening weekend ever behind films that include: “The Avengers” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”.

Currently it holds the highest critic rating for a superhero film on Rotten Tomatoes tied with “The Incredibles” at 97%. It’s also adored by audiences who graded it a rare perfect A+ on Cinemascore.

The movie follows Black Panther, whose alter ego is T’Challa–the newly appointed king of Wakanda. Wakanda is a fictional African country that is wealthy in culture and resources, and has state-of-the-art technology. The film reveals that Wakanda has always been isolated and thus untouched by colonialism and racism. Wakanda not only has the advancements of a western nation, but firmly maintains and boasts its’ African roots.

“I believe it is an empowering movie by showing the pride in African culture, dress and dance,” said Cross Cultural Centers’ Front Desk Manager Tuandre’a Beasley.

The film boasts a predominantly black cast largely composed of women of color playing strong female characters.

“There are no gender biases in this film. I don’t know if I’ve seen that,” said Pan-African Studies assistant professor Aminah Bakeer Abdul-Jabbaar. “You don’t see the female characters stop and become girls when they fight…and to see black women in this position of just… basically kicking ass!”

The film accelerates a Hollywood trend seen in the past year. “Moonlight”, a coming of age film about a gay black man, won best picture at the 2017 Oscars. “Wonder Woman” became the highest grossing female-directed film, and “Get Out”, a horror film of a black man visiting his white girlfriend’s parents, was the most profitable film of last year. “Black Panther” further pushes this envelope.

“This is the Pan-African dream,” said Bakeer Abdul-Jabbaar. “As a freaking Pan-African studies professor that for over a decade has taught about race and gender biases in American cinema, I am uber-excited. This film dismantles the myth that black actors, black people, black storylines are not able to bring in global money. I’ve known for years that wasn’t true, we’ve seen it with other films but this was on a definitive level.”