Out of This World

University dancers present "Latitude Crossings," their first show of Spring.

Out of This World

No Soy Mujer, No Soy Hombre choreographed by 
Alicia Moseley.

No Soy Mujer, No Soy Hombre choreographed by Alicia Moseley.

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales

Cara Gonzales, Photo Editor

The International Day of Dance Company enters its ninth season this spring showcasing a variety of pieces choreographed by students, alumni and director Seonagh Kummer. The show, Latitude Crossing, hit stage on Feb. 23 and 24 at the A.R.C (A Room to Create) in Pasadena.

Latitude Crossings uses the body to create new lines and angles that break from tradition and barriers created by borders. It raised questions about race, gender, immigration, and what it means to be human. Each piece reveals a unique message that relates to life today, how people are treated, referring to mass shootings using choreography to communicate a feeling.

In this particular concert, the cast consists of current students, alumni, and dancers that have a passion for dance.

“In my concerts I try to bring students together with alumni choreographers and dancers, which helps them bridge to the professional world,” Director Seonagh Kummer said.

Dancers have prepared since the beginning of Fall 2017, practicing every week and creating new material for the show. Seonagh explains how it all started:

“We first create the structure of the piece, and then I work with them to draw out the meaning more clearly. I guide them through improvisation and visualization choreography exercises, which helps to create movement that communicates more clearly to the audience.”

Alumnus, Daniel Jacob Glenn, who has been a dancer for 12 years, said, “Cal State LA was a big step in my journey for dance and it’s been a pleasure to be back with the same teachers and type of learning environment. It’s really inspiring aspect to come back and work with new and artists, always keeping fresh ideas flowing.”

Pieces like Teresa, Last Pulse and Duality, left a standing impression on the audience, never wanting to take your eyes off the stage.

“I dance because living in the city, I constantly have to be alert, aware of my surroundings, but as soon as I hit the stage, the world does not matter. I am there to show you who I am, and I just wonder if you’re ready to see me,”Rosarelly Cruz on what inspires her to dance said.
Performers costumes brought another aspect of the story to life. Dancers that represented more joy in life wore colorful, open, flowing clothing that expressed freedom with the body, mind and soul. Props were used to suggest being in a certain place and time whether it was surrounded by people or alone.

As a graduating student, Tomoko Waki, who recently changed majors from Kinesiology to dance, loves that, “The Cal State LA dance department is not all about technical people, so we have different levels of people. Instead of making it a more technical piece, we can make it a more emotional and expressive piece.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Out of This World”

1. Kyrian on March 7th, 2018 10:09 pm

He probably choreographed that photo to let people know he didn”t k now what he was doing.

• Culture

Woke Black Folk: A One Woman Show

• Culture

Coffee and Friends

• Out of This World

Culture

BSU Shows Out

• Out of This World

Culture

She Kills Opening Night

• Culture

An Evening of Culture

• Out of This World

Culture

Pixar Sparks New Tales

• Out of This World

Culture

Dungeons and Dragons at the Playhouse

• Out of This World

Culture

The Perks of Study Abroad

• Out of This World

Culture

Universal Studios Celebrates Lunar New Year

• Out of This World

University Celebrates The Year of the Pig