A Rock and A Hard Place

ICE arresting and deporting undocumented immigrants.

Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, alerted the public on Twitter about a surprise operation by United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), targeting undocumented residents in the bay area.

“Earlier today, I learned from multiple credible sources that U.S. Immigration and Enforcement (ICE) is preparing to conduct an operation in the Bay Area, including Oakland, starting as soon as within the next 24 hours,” the tweet read.

Due to her tweet, Immigration and Customs Enforcement weren’t able to target 800 undocumented people, leaving the agency with only 150 arrests.

Thomas Homan, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s acting director, found it very unusual that only 150 arrests were made in three days, when in Los Angeles 212 undocumented people were arrested in a five-day operation. When Homan found out about the occurrence, he blamed Schaaf for the 800 missed targets and said, “her actions jeopardized officer safety and public safety.”

The people they were hoping to capture have criminal convictions in addition to immigration violations, including convictions for assault, weapons offenses and driving under the influence.

Schaaf defended her actions on Wednesday, a day after the arrests, stating that she, “didn’t reveal specific locations”, and that, “the Trump administration is trying to distract the American people, convincing them that these immigrants are dangerous people”.

However, only some immigrants have committed criminal convictions and are still being deported. An anonymous undocumented individual shared why Mayor Schaaf’s action was a crucial thing for undocumented people:

“I think it is important to help the people by notifying them about ICE because there are a lot of people with no criminal record that are being taken away from their families, so I agree with what she did because sometimes the people need that help–someone to support them”.

Dozens of protesters marched outside the San Francisco agency office regarding the matter chanting, “Shut Down ICE!”.

However, as a result, Trump’s administration has declared war on immigrant communities by suing California over laws protecting immigrants. States that are pursuing laws similar to California’s are also likely to be targeted in court.

California Governor Jerry Brown and Attorney General Xavier Beccera are named as defendants in the lawsuit. Beccera tweeted that California would, “stay the course and enforce all our laws and protect all our people”.