Remarkable Women on Campus

Nine women from the University are honored with distinguished awards.

Remarkable Women on Campus

President Covino alongside the honorees at the 20th Annual Distinguished Women Awards.

Aileen Espitia

Aileen Espitia

Aileen Espitia

Cara Gonzales, Photo Editor

At the twentieth annual Distinguished Women Awards, Cal State LA celebrated nine of the most impactful and influential women at the University. These women are recognized for their commitment to the students, women’s issues and achievements within their field.

Students, faculty, friends and family joined together inside of the Golden Eagle Ballroom and recognized the previous winners of this award. Last year’s recipients, Charity Perry, Cheryl Pugh, and Thea Wrinkler, passed on the awards to the next set of outstanding women for 2018.

Many students joined to commemorate women who have made an impact on their lives:

“I came to support my professor, Dr. Mattheis. She’s been very inspiring, helpful and empowering for me as a student, so I came here to support,” said graduate student Angie Barrera.

One of this year’s award recipients was Isis Stansberry, the Assistant Director for the Office for Students with Disabilities.

“What motivates me to do the things that I do are the students on this campus and the staff that I have become colleagues and friends with. I just really appreciate what Cal State LA does for the students. I was a Cal State LA Student and I like to give back to the students who are like me coming in now,” she sad.

Of the 180 women who have been honored, the following nine women received this year’s awards: Bobbie Galaz College of Natural and Social Sciences, Ruzanna Karmiryan of Sociology, Birte Pfleger-Cullinan of History, Maria Laines Educational of the Opportunity Program, Andrea Zetlin of Special Education and Counseling, Laura P. Flenoury of Program Evaluation and Research Collaborative, Maria Esperanza Ubago of the College of Business and Economics, Allison Mattheis of the Division of Applied and Advanced Studies in Education, and Isis Stansberry Office for Studies with Disabilities.

Cal State LA President William A. Covino acknowledged the great women at the University:

“Cal State LA has a special dedication to the women who are making a difference in lives everyday.  We take the time to voice that recognition.”