2018 Los Angeles Marathon

Athletes gather at the 33rd Annual LA Marathon.

2018 Los Angeles Marathon

Weldon Korui led the men's elite division and was the first runner to cross the finish line at the LA Marathon.

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

More than 24,000 runners from around the world participated in the 33rd Annual Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon on Sunday, March 18. The marathon course started at Dodger stadium and followed through LA, with each mile marking an iconic landmark. Santa Monica pier marked the final landmark where runners crossed the finish line and were rewarded with their medal.

Dodger third baseman Justin Turner served as an honorary starter to help send off participants in this year’s marathon:

Weldon Kirui of Kenya led the male elite runners and crossed the finish line at 9:06 a.m. with a time of 2:11:47. Sule Gedo of Ethiopia led the female elite runner division, finishing at 9:18 a.m. with a time of 2:33:50.

Among the runners were Cal State LA students Carolina Lopez and Henry Mateo.

Lopez finished the race at 1:34 p.m. with a time of 6:33:37. Mateo followed shortly after at 1:37 p.m. with a time of 6:35:49.

The Conqur Endurance Group is the brand that hosts the LA Marathon, aiming to provide vibrant experiences for people and communities through their various running events.

Tracey Russell, Chief Executive of Conqur Endurance Group, explained the importance in making the LA marathon memorable:

“Every year, Conqur Endurance Group aims to bring unique and memorable race experiences for our runners through our various events. Whether it’s the LA ½ Kids Run, the LA BIG 5K or the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon, we’ve created a weekend of events encouraging all ages to participate and experience the greatest event in Los Angeles.”