ASI to Fund Student Projects

After hearing a number of requests ASI will fund student projects.

ASI to Fund Student Projects

Club representatives present before the ASI Finance Committee to request funding.

Joshua Mejia

Joshua Mejia

Joshua Mejia

Jordan Hansen, Contributor

Associated Students Incorporated (ASI) has awarded a total of $12,000 to various student groups at an ASI Finance Committee meeting on Friday, March 16.

Representatives from four student groups were present at the meeting and requested funding support for upcoming student activities. Each group requested roughly $3,000 to help cover the cost of planned upcoming events; the ASI Finance Committee approved all applications.

ASI is a not-for-profit, student run organization that supports Cal State LA students. With the ASI budget totaling over $1.6 million in 2016/17, it is the job of the Finance Committee to determine how this money is spent; including allocating a large portion to student groups.

The first to present was a team from Forensics Speech and Debate organization. The representatives requested $3,000 from the ASI so that twelve University students could attend the National Forensic Association National Tournament in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The grant will help cover the cost of hotels and flights so that the students can take part in the public speaking competition.

Next, a group representing CAl State LA’s Baja SAE team applied for $3,000 to help cover hotel and travel expenses for the upcoming Baja SAE Collegiate California Competition. The University has attended each of the dune buggy competitions since the event began in 1986, and this year will be no exception; thirty students are expected to attend.

The Hispanic Business Society requested $2,907.58 from ASI to help cover the cost of an upcoming banquet to be held in the Golden Eagle Ballroom next month. Seventy students are expected to attend the dinner, which will serve to thank volunteers at the society.

Finally, Students United to Reach Goals in Education (SURGE) representatives requested $3,000 from ASI to help fund a student retreat to Mammoth Mountain next week. Twenty-five students are set to take part in the trip and the funding will cover some accommodation, travel and marketing expenses.

Once the funding applications concluded, the Committee briefly reviewed proposed changes to ASI’s operating budget for the next academic year.

Some discussion took place regarding adjusting ASI’s budget for inflation but the most notable feature in the new budget was the $220,000 set aside for university support programs, which still remains unallocated.

A Finance Committee meeting held on March 2 raised some concern that student jobs could suffer, as the ASI decides which university support services receive funding.

Aaron Castaneda, ASI Vice-President of Finance, said that it is still unknown when this decision will be made.