Eagles Assemble!

2018 Eagle-Con draws record numbers.

Eagles Assemble!

An attendee and vendor conversing about comicbooks.

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

The popularity of comic conventions continue to grow: Comic Con in San Diego and New York, WonderCon in Anaheim. Cal State LA’s own Eagle-Con is no exception, quickly climbing the pop culture ranks. Like many large-scale comic conventions, Eagle-Con hosts numerous vendors and panels, each packed with their share of professional artists, writers and filmmakers.

The Eagle-Con 2018 Convention, running March 8-11 in the University-Student Union (U-SU), was the most successful to-date. Not only did it pack a punch with its formidable attendance, but also secured a few noteworthy guests.

On March 8, celebrated science fiction and fantasy author Nalo Hopkinson delivered an informative panel on her writing process after being presented with the Eagle-Con Octavia E. Butler Memorial Award.

She engaged with students, professors, staff and community members in attendance and answered questions ranging from her personal writing journey to tips and advice for aspiring authors:

“I’m going to guess that some of you here today are aspiring writers. Own it, don’t be ashamed of it or embarrassed by it. Don’t think it’s hopeless or impossible; it isn’t. Here’s something that astonishes my students when I tell them: ‘You don’t need a degree in creative writing in order to become a successful author.’”

On March 11, Cheo Hodari Coker, creator, executive producer and showrunner of Marvel’s Luke Cage was presented with the 2018 Prism Award.

“I think if you look at the program, it’s pretty clear you have panels that are stocked with storytellers and creatives from across the various mediums,” said english graduate student David Shipko. “We have Nalo Hopkinson here, we have TV writers and artists and production designers that are working for film, and I think there’s even some game design and criticism. So, when you have these panels in these relatively intimate settings, you have a chance for students to interact with professionals who otherwise would be beyond their access.”

Eagle-Con was a success and testament to the efforts of those who contributed to the overall project. One of these individuals is Dr. Patrick Sharp, Chair of the Liberal Studies Department, who year after year, builds the convention from the ground up:

“Eagle-Con has been more successful than we even hoped. We don’t have exact numbers yet, but many panels were standing room only and the Saturday vendors room was packed all day. We have had some great social media reactions, and we are already planning how to make it better for next year.”