Houston, We have Roaches

Cockroach infestation on campus leaves student residents plagued with pests.

Kenneth Cyprian, Contributor

Thousands of unwanted guests have moved into Cal State LA’s campus housing, forcing Cal State LA residents to fight off an infestation of American cockroaches.

The infestation is not isolated to just campus housing, however:

“They’re nasty man,” said Cal State LA’s head maintenance worker Miguel Mata. “They’re all over, buildings 2, 3 and 5.” 

The cockroach appearance began around the time that Gastroenteritis forced the school to close the dining hall for a week. 

“Different forms of gastroenteritis including: food poisoning, dysentery and diarrhea appear to be the 

principal diseases transmitted by these cockroaches,” according to the Department of Entomology at Penn State University.

Maintenance workers have been receiving multiple work orders to fix the roach problem

“An ongoing situation after multiple attempts to try and get maintenance to fix it,” said current resident Daron Bryan. It took three times for them to come and fix the situation.”

Nothing is off limits when trying to kill cockroaches that appear in students’ rooms.

“I’ve personally killed about 10 roaches. I’ve used everything from containers to our kitchen mop,” said Bryant. 

Mata has been the primary resource in helping eradicate the roaches from the living quarters. 

“I think they’re coming from the A/C drain pipe and then from there travel to the vents,” said Mata.

Residents have started to shut off their A/C units as a counter-attack to stop roaches from coming into their rooms and dining areas. 

“I can’t turn the A/C or heaters on because they come through here,” said current resident Jordan Rogers.

Maintenance workers can only place traps in areas of the room and cover any open pipes that they may be coming from. They are not allowed to spray any chemicals except for raid. 

In an attempt to control the situation, the University has hired professional exterminators as reinforcements. Specifically, ISOTECH Pest Management has sprayed down multiple dorms. 

As unwelcome guests continue to lurk in various buildings at the University, a solution has not yet been found.