Undocumented Tales

Web series introduces students to a man who struggles with identity and documentation.

Undocumented Tales

Armando Ibañez shares his experiences of what it is like to be both queer and undocumented living in Los Angeles.

Camille Jessie

Camille Jessie

Camille Jessie

Melorie Cruz, Contributor

Last Thursday, the Cross Cultural Centers (CCC) presented Undocumented Tales: a web series that follows the life of Fernando, an undocumented immigrant who is a closeted gay. Fernando is portrayed by Armando Ibañez, the director and creator of the series.

Ibañez sat with Cal State LA students to watch episodes one, two and three of his web series. The episodes highlighted the obstacles and struggles Fernando has to overcome in Los Angeles including: employment, education, love and civil rights for the LGBT community and undocumented immigrants.

After the screening, there was a discussion for students to engage with Ibañez.

Karina Hernandez shared her favorite part about the web series:

“I like how it informed about the LGBT community and the struggles they face in being accepted. This film gave me more insight about that.”

During his discussion, Ibañez talked about the lack of interest he had when he came across shows that did not adequately portray undocumented immigrants.

“I feel that we aren’t represented the right way in the undocumented and LGBT community. I feel that in Hollywood and mainstream media we’ve always seen documentaries of people crying and facing obstacles, but besides that, there is more to show than just that; we are humans, we want to have a normal life like everybody else, we want to live, love and laugh, so because of that I want to educate an audience to show them that we are much more than what Hollywood always wants to show.”

Asked what his family thought of the series, Ibañez said: “Family members started reaching out to me with support and other family members that are not ok with it have not talked to me at all.”

He plans on continuing to break stereotypes within the LGBT community and with undocumented immigrants.