Please Give Us Some Space(s)

New Parking structure set to add 2,300 new spaces to campus

Please Give Us Some Space(s)

Project Image of new parking structure.

Project Image of new parking structure.

Robert Lopez

Project Image of new parking structure.

Robert Lopez

Robert Lopez

Project Image of new parking structure.

Ricky Rodas, Investigative Reporter

Finding a parking space is a struggle shared by the many students who attend Cal State LA, and parking services is planning to ease this burden with their ambitious new parking project. The campus’ Parking & Transportation service is overseeing the construction of a $65 million parking structure in lot 5 that is set to add 2,300 new spaces. 

According to the Facilities, Planning, Design, and Construction (FPDC) webpage, the structure is part of the North Campus Project, which also comprises new student housing facilities, and a new soccer field within the northern portion of the Cal State LA campus. 

Carmen Gachupin, P & T services director, told the University Times that the structure is scheduled for completion in summer 2019 and will be operational in fall 2019. According to Gachupin, the parking program receives no funding from the state’s general fund. 

“The program is funded solely through the sale of parking permits. Revenue from the sale of parking permits is self-contained and dedicated for the maintenance, operation and construction of campus parking.” 

Some spaces in Lot 5 will be closed while the structure is being built, which has resulted in the implementation of student assisted parking. 

“Attendant-assisted parking will be offered in the remaining aisles of Lot 5. The off-site lot will continue to be a parking option with free shuttle service to and from campus,” Gachupin said. When asked how this idea came about, she cited the University’s commitment to creating a nourishing school environment.

“Two pillars of the University’s strategic plan are student success and a welcoming and inclusive campus; our Attendant-Assisted Parking Program aligns with these pillars by enhancing customer service for our students and optimizing parking during the construction period,” Gachupin said.

“Cal State LA parking officers will be on hand to assist with traffic and guidance to Lot 5. Our research has found that attendant-assisted parking has been successful at other campuses to help maximize parking space.” 

Students can easily identify Attendants, who will be wearing their white-collared shirts, blank pants and black baseball caps with a “Parking Company of America” logo.  

Cal State Fullerton has previously implemented an assisted parking program to offset the rapid growing student body, according to their webpage. 

P & T services are currently working on other parking projects that incorporate additional campus parking, but have not yet been approved or finalized. For additional information, individuals can contact P & T services at 323- 343-3700.