A Wrinkle in Hollywood Time

Media Done Responsibily takes students on trip to the El Capitan for film screening.

Students in line waiting to enter the El Capitan Theatre.

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Erron Franklin, Editor-in-Chief

Cal State LA professor Shaunelle Curry, along with the organization Media Done Responsibly (MDR), a University partner, sponsored a trip to the El Capitan theatre in Hollywood for students to screen Disney’s major motion picture, “A Wrinkle in Time”.

Students from Hawthorne High School, Humanities Academy of Arts and Technology and the Upward Bound program were among those who attended the event. MDR’s peer mentors from Cal State LA and Mount St. Mary’s University accompanied the students on their trip to tinseltown.

The evening marked the first time MDR has taken students to a screening of this kind. Curry insisted that just about every aspect of the film, especially the director Ava DuVernay, made it an ideal film for students:

“The lead character is a young African American female who is leading the rest of the cast on this wonderful adventure to save the world and she has a multi-racial past,” she said. “So just powerful, powerful, images that we love for our student to see, and be able to see themselves reflected in what’s happening on the screen. And help to give them a sense of empowerment, a sense of possibility and sense of courage to jump out there in the world.”

Students were able to view the actual costumes worn on screen, which were on display at the El Capitan theatre. One parent who came along for the trip with his daughter echoed Curry’s sentiments regarding representation and the message it sends to children of color.

“I think it will be a good movie for her to see. She’s a young little black kid with curly hair and that’s exactly what the protagonist of this film is so we’re hoping she’ll get a little bit of inspiration from that,” said Brandon Church. 

Ryan Murphy, Cal State LA student and MDR mentor, volunteered to assist the evening’s events. He explained why he was enthusiastic about children having the opportunity:

“I like the director, Ava, I’m really fond of her work. I know there is always substance to her movies so I’m excited for that reason,” he said. “She has a lot of conscious content that she creates and it’s evident throughout her pieces and this one is directed towards children and that’s always important because you’re trying to keep children conscious.” 

The trip to El Capitan was funded by the Hellen and Will Webster Foundation in conjunction with Media Done Responsibly, which was founded by Curry. The organization trains students to think critically about the media they consume with a focus on Media Literacy, Media Production and Media Advocacy.