WonderCon: A Glimpse into Pop Culture

WonderCon presents special guests and world premieres at its annual show.

WonderCon's entrance welcomed cosplayers, industry professionals, and attendees from all over the world.

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

WonderCon: the yearly convention presented by Comic-Con International that celebrates comic books, television and the popular arts, returned to the Anaheim Convention Center with a sold out show from March 23 to March 25. 

WonderCon’s guest lineup of industry professionals included: Jim Lee, publisher of DC entertainment; Scott Snyder, Detective Comics; Kevin Grevioux, The Mask; and Faith Erin Hicks, The Last of Us: American Dreams. 

The Convention celebrated its 10th anniversary of hosting world premieres from DC Comics with this year’s screenings of animated features: “Batman Ninja”, “LEGO DC Super Hero Girls: Super Villain High”, and “Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay”. 

The show honored DC comics’ 1,000th issue of Action Comics, featuring the Superman that debuted in 1938, by commemorating the series as the cover art for WonderCon 2018’s souvenir book.  Action Comics first debuted in 1938 and is releasing a special, oversized anniversary issue in April to celebrate the milestone of producing 1,000 issues of Action Comics.

“Superman is a remarkably deep and rich character,” said Jurgens, the cover artist who has been associated to Superman for 25 years. “The scope of his powers allows a writer to tell a story as big as the cosmos. At the same time, his down-to-earth nature and family situation with Lois and Jon open the door to all sorts of meaningful, personal drama.” 

Along with world premieres were advanced screenings of upcoming and current television series. These shows included: “The 100”, “Unikitty!”, “Teen Titans GO!”, “Reverie”, “Timeless”, “Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger”, “Netflix’s Lost in Space”, “Krypton”, “Bad Samaritan”, “Black Lightning” and “Lucifer”. 

Television network AMC beefed up their presence with activities and panels as sneak previews for their Spring lineup. New series “The Terror” featured an offsite attraction while panels with the casts from shows “Into the Badlands” and “Fear The Walking Dead”. The popular post-apocalyptic show “Fear The Walking Dead” filled the 3,000 seat arena in anticipation of well-known “The Walking Dead” character Morgan Jones crossing over to it’s the fourth season.   

“One of the things that has been really enjoyable about being on ‘fear’ is that the lines do get blurred,” said Lennie James, who portrays Morgan Jones. “He’s now in a place where he has no history to the people in ‘fear’ and he gets the chance who he’s going to be now.” 

Cosplay always plays a role in the convention experience; costumed attendees showcased their cosplays at the Masquerade.  Trophies and cash prizes were given to those who won best in show, judges’ choice, best workmanship, and plenty of other categories.

WonderCon is a fan favorite among convention goers and attendees in the industry. 

Freelance writer Brandon Easton claims this year’s show as one special to him: “This past weekend was one of the best I’ve had since 2016,” said Easton. “There was an overwhelming sense of optimism and respect in the air that I haven’t felt in God-knows-how-long. As someone who hates to ‘mingle’ it was nice for me to get outside of my own head for a while and realize that there’s a lot of good in the world.”