Encouraging a Generation of PhD Students

Cal State LA receives grant to support humanities students.

J. Emilio Flores

J. Emilio Flores

Ashlee Navarec, Contributor

In an effort to aid students in the humanities field, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation has given a $453,000 grant to California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA). The funding aims to provide more opportunities for scholars who plan on pursuing a PhD immediately upon completion of their Bachelor’s degree.

The grant will solidify the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) program, which will offer guidance and training to 16 students. Their goal is to increase diversity in the faculty of the nation’s colleges and universities. 

Specifically, Cal State LA’s program will contain tiered experiences over two consecutive Summer sessions. During those sessions, students will be exposed to various humanities-based works, including scholarships. Throughout the academic year, students will devote their time to researching and developing their graduate school application and advancements in their studies. 

Pamela Scott-Johnson, Dean of the College of Natural and Social Sciences, and Associate Dean Cheryl Koos both served as the senior officer and principal investigator. 

“Students’ participation in the MMUF program will increase their potential for entry into graduate programs in their chosen disciplines and strengthen their long-term career capacity,” said Scott-Johnson.

Through the financial support of this grant, many students will have the ability to pursue graduate and PhD studies.

“I look forward to the contributions our Mellon Mays fellows will make through scholarship and research,” said Cal State LA President William Covino. “The grant from the Andrew W. Mellon foundation will help us develop the next generation of humanities scholars.”