Farewell to A Beloved Professor

Cal State LA Faculty member suddenly passes away.

The late Television, Film, and Media Studies Professor Robert Ellsworth.

Loren Gutierrez

Richard Molina, News Editor

Cal State LA has lost family; professor Robert Ellsworth of the TVF Department passed on Easter weekend. His family put out the following message:

“It is with great sadness that we wanted to let all of you know that our son, brother, uncle and great friend Robert Ellsworth has passed away. Rob was an extraordinary man and, even though we lost him too soon, we celebrate the time we had with him. Rob had a huge generous heart, a bigger-than-life personality, and brought us laughter and joy. He had a deep devotion for his family and friends, and for his Mom whom he loved more than anything. He touched many people with his talent through his teaching, his writing, his unique creative voice, and his humanity. We hope he will stay in your heart and prayers forever.”

Assistant professor Nidhin Patel was struck by the loss:

“Robert was my friend. We were classmates during our M.F.A. degree at Cal State LA, and then colleagues while teaching in the TVF program on campus. He was one of the funniest individuals I knew or will ever know, and also one of the most talented. He had sold scripts to the major studios and had his theatre plays produced all across the country including New York and LA.”

Patel continued, “One was never bored when he was in the room. The city of Los Angeles, with all its glitz and glamour, will now feel just a bit dull without his sense-of-humor and joie-de-vivre. While I continue to struggle to believe that he’s gone, I find solace in my knowledge that he really lived his life to the fullest, and lived it doing what he loved including being a teacher on this campus.”

Former Business Manager for the University Times, Jim Munson, was also shocked to hear the news:

“He was a world traveler. That was probably his second love, journalism being his first. Always on the go. That was one thing that amazed me about him. Paris, London, Mexico, he was constantly going somewhere and had a very close circle of friends he travelled with.”

Munson continues, “He was a great guy, smart and a good writer, he even wrote screenplays. He was a fun loving guy, very personable and outgoing. Students in the class loved him. I was completely shocked to hear he was gone. We didn’t have any kind of warning.”

A GoFundMe campaign was created to help take financial burdens off the grieving family. For those who wish to help, donations are being accepted at the following website: https://www.gofundme.com/robert-ellsworth-memorial

Robert Ellsworth will be missed greatly, but will never be forgotten.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Farewell to A Beloved Professor”

1. dee on August 15th, 2018 1:51 pm

Farewell to A Beloved Professor
    Loren Gutierrez
    Richard Molina, News Editor
    April 16, 2018
    Filed under News

2. MaryLynn on August 15th, 2018 6:30 pm

What a beautiful Article and picture

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

BREAKING: Housing Winter Fee Waived

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

Community News

A 3,000-mile Reunion

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

Give Me Your Huddled Masses

307 and Counting…

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

ASI Opens the Floor to Students

There’s a Storm Coming

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

Community News

A journey through the desert and back to my childhood

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

Celebrating Our Vets

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

University Moves Forward with High-Rise Plans

• Farewell to A Beloved Professor

The Blood on Our Hands