The Power of a Healthy Life

The University’s third annual wellness fair showed students the importance in taking care of themselves.

The Power of a Healthy Life

Students springing into action at the wellness fair to get tips on a healthy mind and body.

Michael Griego

Michael Griego

Michael Griego

Michael Griego, Multimedia Journalist

Cal State LA believes that if students can maintain a healthy mind and body while getting their education, it will help lead to better graduation rates. Last Wednesday the third annual “Wellness Fair”, sponsored by the Student Health Center (SHAC), featured health services and other student resources. This year’s theme, superheros!

On-campus organizations were present, including: the Student Health Center, Public Safety, the Office for Student with Disabilities and the Center for Student Involvement. Various off-campus resources including: Planned Parenthood, Department of Public Health for LA County and Arroyo Vista Family Health Center offered students options for wellness.

“It’s important for us to get out in the actual campus community and do a lot of education and wellness promotion, because we know that if students prevent the things from happening in the first place, they’re going to stay healthy through the academic year and they’re going to be better students,” said Marisa Marcarello, Health Educator at the Student Health Center.

Students in attendance were first greeted by Health Center staff, then were guided through the rows of booths including: those collecting stickers for free giveaways, booths providing information on safe sex and health care, alcohol awareness and a free massage tent.  

“The Wellness Fair is way better than going in to the Student Health Office and talking about the results of drunk driving, when these drunk goggles give you it on the spot…” said Rafael Zararoza, a junior computer science major.

The information offered at the Wellness Fair provides students with resources that not only benefit them, but also assist their family members or friends who are in need of low cost services. 

In case you missed the fair and would like additional information on how you can take care of yourself, visit the Student Health Center Monday to Thursday from 8:30 a.m. – 5:45 p.m., and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.