On Track to Success

Cal State LA Hosts Annual Twilight BBQ Track Meet to support athletes.

Athletes got to show friends and family their skills at the Twilight Open.

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Ricky Rodas, Investigative Reporter

The subtle aroma of sizzling burgers vibrant, bass heavy music and cheers from supportive friends and family permeated through the air as Twilight Open got underway on Thursday, April 12.

The annual outdoor track and field event featured more than 400 student-athletes representing more than 30 universities, junior colleges and club teams, according to the campus events webpage.  

Victoria Flores, Athletics Department Facilities and Events Assistant, explained the process behind putting the meet together. The Athletics Department sent out invitations to all of the conference teams, to junior colleges and clubs. 

Flores talked about the commitment of the University’s teams, highlighting the fact that they consistently train each day, sometimes throughout the whole day. 

Student involvement is very important to Athletics, and they hope to increase the turnout rate through showcasing their stellar athletes. 

“A lot of your athletes are really good, like track and field; they’re growing. We have an athlete, Khallifa Rosser, he’s a national championship runner, he’s amazing.”  

Tina Davis Fernandes, Head Track & Field/Cross Country Coach, attributed her athletes’ talents to hard work and family like environment:

“My student-athletes, staff and myself spend more time at our University than probably most.  Why? It’s simply because we want to be the best at what we do academically and athletically. We have a goal to try to stay focused in all areas and be a motivation to others around us.  We want to graduate and do the very best in our sport.”

Chris Nguyen, computer science major was excited to attend his first Twilight BBQ:

“I found out about this and it was something new to me, and I wanted to interact more with the campus and support my Golden Eagle Radio,” said Nguyen. 

He found out about this event through his organization, but did not see a lot of promotional flyers around campus. 

“It’s pretty hard to get out there on this campus with this type of college atmosphere. It’s not a very active campus like UC’s where people dorm; here, people commute so you just attend your classes and then you go home,” Nguyen said. 

Overall, the Twilight BBQ was a success and drew a large crowd that witnessed the hard earned achievements of the Cal State LA Track Team.

About the Contributors
J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor
From protests to San Diego Comic Con, J. Aaron has covered a multitude of subjects but has a keen eye for Arts & Entertainment. When he is not covering events he is mainly studying as a Psychology major, photographing different aspects of life, working in film production, or enjoying everything the world has to offer....