Cultural Closet: Outfitting the Students

New organization on campus helps students to obtain professional clothing for interviews.

Culture+Closet

Culture Closet

Culture Closet

Culture Closet

Culture Closet

Yamani Wallace, Contributor

The Cultural Closet is a new organization serving students who are in need of professional clothing for interviews, meetings and graduation. Goodwill was the inspiration behind this boutique located in the Anthropology Department.

“I had to pass up items at Goodwill because of my budget,” said Cultural Closet founder and senior anthropology student Taryn Potenza.

She shared that the Cultural Closet is meant to be a fun pop up boutique that provides students with fashion for free:

“This is really a campus wide initiative to get students to utilize this organization to help uplift themselves and feel confident enough when seeking out professional opportunities,” said Potenza.

The boutique rack can be found outside of King Hall on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Potenza is even discussing resume workshops and mock interviews in the near future for students who feel they need the extra help when landing interviews. She also hopes the boutique can one day be a non-profit organization that helps students utilize their campus resources. 

“It’s hard to find outfits for interviews. I think this is a really cool thing she’s doing. I know I would use it,” said Daisy Crenshaw, sophomore computer science major.

Although the Cultural Closet is beneficial to Juniors and Seniors who tend to find themselves more susceptible to interviews for jobs, master’s programs and internships, it is not dismissing freshmen and sophomores who may be in similar situations. Furthermore, the Cultural Closet is convenient for students who are not able to leave campus to purchase these clothes.  

“Our mission is to provide our Cal State LA students with free fashion for free minds to help promote and support their progress with academic opportunities and to celebrate their success and hard work,” said Potenza.

The donation drop off for the Cultural Closet is in King Hall 4068. If you would like to join the organization or if you have any questions, please contact Taryn Potenza.