Cal State LA Paves the Way

New Initiative Establishes Stronger Partnerships Between University and City.

Cal State LA Paves the Way

Cal State LA's Simpson tower in the campus' view from across the I-10 freeway.

J. Emilio Flores

J. Emilio Flores

J. Emilio Flores

Next year, the university will begin its work as an anchor institution for the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU), which feed economic and intellectual resources to their local communities. This means the city of Los Angeles is about to get a booster shot.

The Coalition was formed in 1989 by leaders of metropolitan and urban environments who observed a sad discrepancy in urban life. More than two-thirds of America’s workforce is urban-based, yet these tightly packed cities struggle to support their massive economies. Some leaders noticed that the only things going for them were their universities and like that, the Coalition was formed.

Member institutions, including liberal arts colleges, HBCUs, Ivy League and research institutions all work toward one common goal: to give back to the communities that host them. In February 2018, the Higher Education Anchor Mission Initiative was formed in order to encourage intellectual and economic partnerships between university and community.

Their website reads, “We spend over $43 billion on goods and services each year. Imagine how much stronger local economies could be if more of this purchasing power was spent in the communities our colleges and universities call home.”

Cal State LA is one of two California universities selected to lead the charge by establishing and extending its own anchor mission practices, applying its own resources to mutually benefit itself and the city of Los Angeles.

President William Covino said that Cal State LA is an intuitive choice for the initiative. Not only is it the “premier public university in the heart of Los Angeles,” but it also aligns with the university’s mission, “engagement, service, and the public good.”

The Initiative realizes the intense social potency of Cal State LA. Ranked number one in the nation for upward mobility, the university has a history of positive change in Southern California.

“The transformative power of Cal State LA’s commitment to improving the economic and social well-being of the communities we serve is well documented,” said Cal State LA Executive Vice President Jose A. Gomez.

Aside from the CUMU, Cal State LA’s Pat Brown Institute is working with the Southeast Los Angeles Collaborative on civic engagement to pursue civic engagement projects similar to the new Initiative.

So far, CUMU’s mission has proven successful. 

“CUMU is heightening our commitment to enhancing deep learning for our students and true partnerships for our neighborhoods and urban communities, particularly in the areas of K-12 college readiness, economic development and health disparities. Our civic and research efforts are aligned with the urban and metropolitan challenges of our time,” said Richard Guarasci a professor from Wagner College.