The Infinity War

The Avengers come together to combat Thanos in Marvel Studios' latest blockbuster.

The Infinity War

Peter Parker, Tony Stark, and The Guardians of the Galaxy teaming up to take on Thanos and his minions

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

A decade and 19 films from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) later, it has all led to this: The Infinity War. The previous 18 Marvel films have developed their characters to face the biggest threat that they have ever faced. Specifically, Thanos, the film’s main villain, sets out to capture the six infinity stones present throughout the MCU, and is assisted by the black order who serves as the main villain’s minions. Throughout the film, Thanos steps in to directly confront the Avengers during his journey to combine each of the infinity stones on his infinity gauntlet to have control over the universe.

Infinity War features all the protagonists across the MCU as they come together to fight against Thanos. Each scene is jam packed with loads of action from the opening moments of the film to the very last post credits scene. The film, while following all these characters, breaks up into separate scenes that parallel with the general narrative. As each scene progresses, the protagonists come together and fight Thanos as one cohesive unit. This leads to one of the most anticipated and ambitious crossover films to date.

It was interesting to see how the Guardians of the Galaxy interacted with members of the Avengers, as well as the chemistry between characters that are new in the MCU including: Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther.

Jokes are a staple within Marvel films, and while they are for the most part humorous, they sometimes take away from the serious tone of the film. The narrative serves as a ground zero for all the characters and humanity as a whole.

The serious tone of the film takes a toll on the emotions of the viewer, since the beloved characters on screen are challenged more than they ever had been previously.

Notably, Infinity War plays with the audience’s emotions, as one moment someone may be laughing while another moment they will be in total despair.

The only origin story that is told is the one of Thanos and his affiliates, so audiences should at least watch the latest films for each character to completely understand the storyline up to this point or else there may be some confusion.

It is important to note that even though the film’s running time is 2 hours and 40 minutes, it is only the first half of two Avengers Infinity War films; the second film is slated to release in Spring 2019.

Infinity War does not feel like an Avengers film as it features so many characters, but more precisely as a true Marvel crossover.