Ethan Russell: Rock and Roll’s Photographer

The Luckman Gallery presents Ethan Russell, an exhibit on his rock and roll photography.

Ethan Russell's work with the Beatles album cover headshots and rooftop performance were some photos featured.

Kyle Frizol/Ethan Russell

Kyle Frizol/Ethan Russell

Kyle Frizol, Copy Editor

Last week, the Luckman Fine Arts Complex’s Gallery celebrated its opening reception of Ethan Russell, the acclaimed photographer who travelled with The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and even The Who. Work from throughout his career made up the subject of the exhibit, featuring connections between his stage show “The Best Seat in the House” and his professional career as a photographer.

Russell’s exhibition features collaged collections of photos from each major period in his career. Specifically, audiences have the ability to peer into specific photo sessions with The Rolling Stones, such as when Mick Jagger asked Russell to follow them on tour to capture truly intimate moments of them backstage, in rehearsal and with their personal acquaintances. Russell’s ability to capture these rock stars in their natural environments, while also remaining untouched and unedited, provided a narrative of just how popular and liked Russell was with the bands.

Photo sessions illustrated at the event ranged from intimate personal sessions between John Lennon and Yoko Ono and their home, to the “Let it Be” photo session on top of Apple Records in London. Truly iconic moments in rock and roll history were exhibited on the walls of the Luckman Gallery, inviting guests to enter snapshot in time that was previously only accessible to Russell.

The Ethan Russell exhibition at the Luckman Gallery will remain open from now to May 26. This is no entry fee to visit the gallery, and students are encouraged to bring their families along to revisit these intimate moments in rock and roll history.