DACA and Deferred Action

Federal Court threatens to strike government memo rescinding DACA after federal court ruling.

A number of DACA recipients and activists protesting in San Francisco to defend dreamers.

Pax Ahimsa Gethen

Pax Ahimsa Gethen

Once again, the lives of over half a million U.S. residents are up in the air. With a new court ruling that has challenged the government’s DACA rescission, the program may not only be back in the running, but also opened up to first-time applicants and required to process applications for advanced parole. However, on the other hand, DACA could remain in its current state; the decision rests in the hands of the court.

On April 24, Senior District Judge John D. Bates, appointed by President George W. Bush, mandated that the Trump administration’s decision to begin phasing out the program “was arbitrary and capricious because the Department failed adequately to explain its conclusion that the program was unlawful.”

“Neither the meager legal reasoning nor the assessment of litigation risk provided by DHS to support its rescission decision is sufficient to sustain termination of the DACA program,” wrote Bates.

Bates’ ruling is different from previous decisions in the past few months from California and New York, requiring the government to continue issuing work permits for residents currently enrolled with DACA.

“The Department’s failure to give an adequate explanation of its legal judgment was particularly egregious here in light of the reliance interests involved,” wrote Bates.

If effective, Trump may be forced to rescind his government memo that initialized the process to phase out DACA. In other words, undocumented immigrants may have a second chance.

Bates will allow the Department of Homeland Security ninety days to support their case. If they manage to reissue a memorandum palatable to the court, then DACA’s could fall short of reinstatement.

Bates wrote, “On the one hand, it is certainly possible that the Department could articulate a valid reason for DACA’s rescission. For example, it could offer a coherent legal argument that DACA conflicts with the INA or violates the President’s duty to ‘take care that the laws be faithfully executed,’ or it could explain why, as a matter of policy, DACA-eligible individuals should no longer be low-priority targets for removal.”

The ruling developed out of a case brought up by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Microsoft, and senior student Maria Perales Sanchez at Princeton University.

Although uncertain whether the ruling will have any effect, the plaintiffs are pleased to note that the courts agree DACA’s termination was unfounded and untenable. 

“The better opinion would have been to immediately restore all of the original DACA, as the current decision prolongs the uncertainty that has terrorized undocumented youth once again,” said Sanchez. “At the same time, I’m faithful that DACA’s constitutionality will be upheld, and I hope that soon DACA is available to new applicants.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “DACA and Deferred Action”

1. michele on May 7th, 2018 3:57 pm

he real question is when will politicians and people in general figure out that when you reward illegal immigration with jobs, drivers licenses, discounts in college tuition, scholarships basically create a program (DACA) where illegal aliens can masquerade as citizens it obviously encourages illegal entry. Illegal immigration/DACA impact employment (mostly in the minority community), use of public services and costs taxpayers billions.

There is an estimated 800,000 DACA recipients in the US. That is 800,000 jobs American Citizens don’t have or will be in competition for. So when you hear “we pay taxes…we pay taxes” about “contributions” by illegal aliens taking American jobs, remember that also is at a cost in jobs citizens should have.

Just some of the costs associated with illegal immigration, we will pass this burden on to our children as has been passed on to us.

*The cost of educating illegal aliens children is staggering. From K-12 it costs taxpayers $122,000 for EACH illegal alien student. This does not include the billions spent on bilingual education for illegal aliens.

*Currently city, and state officials are appropriating millions of taxpayer dollars for legal fees to to file law suits and in defense of illegal aliens being deported.

*2012 illegal aliens sent home $62 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin. This is why Mexico is getting involved in our politics.

*30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.Does not include local jails and State Prisons. At $21,000 per year expense per inmate in Federal Prison U do the math.

*$3Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens, I repeat 3 MILLION a DAY to process Illegals in the Criminal justice system.

*$2.2Billion dollars a year is spent on is spent on food assistance programs such as SNAP (food stamps) WIC, & free school lunches.All can be found on google.

The CBO (congressional budget off ice) estimates it will cost American taxpayers 26 billion over the next 10 years if 1.8 million re legalized.

[Reply]

2. jojo on May 7th, 2018 8:39 pm

So the NAACP is in favor of DACA?

[Reply]

Roaches Continue to Raise Concerns

• DACA and Deferred Action

Who killed David Josiah Lawson?

• DACA and Deferred Action

Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

• DACA and Deferred Action

Grad 2025: Initiating Success

• DACA and Deferred Action

Lucky For Us, We’ve Got the Luckman

• DACA and Deferred Action

LAFC Claims the L.A. Throne

• DACA and Deferred Action

Mental Health: Beyond the Stigma

• DACA and Deferred Action

Ethan Russell: Rock and Roll’s Photographer

• DACA and Deferred Action

Revealing the Hispanic Voice

• DACA and Deferred Action

Khallifah Rosser: Hurdling to Excellence

DACA and Deferred Action