Lucky For Us, We’ve Got the Luckman

Global Arts Fest draws students from across Los Angeles for a day of creative artistic expression.

The hardships of love represented through the art of dance.

Joshua Mejia

Joshua Mejia

One million patrons, seventy-two countries and one mission; The Luckman Fine Arts Complex at Cal State LA has long been regarded as an artistic hub. Each year, their gallery and theater pull from world-renowned singers, painters, musicians and performers to excite the community in artistic celebration.

Founded in 2009, Luckman’s Global Arts Fest has united students from across Los Angeles County, offering many of them a first-time experience into artistic collaboration.

During events and performances, the sounds of high schoolers cheering one another on may pierce through the Luckman auditorium, but it’s a sound that makes the administrators who run the show smile:

“By doing this, we’ve kind of seen them come together as a team; they want to learn more because it’s all about having fun and when they’re at a younger age, it’s really about showing them the fun,” said Justin Cone, Event Coordinator at the Luckman.

For every Luckman presentation, they also host an outreach event, appropriately dubbed LuckmanPlus. Masterclasses, symposia and film screenings are all offered to community members at no cost.

LuckmanPlus has also worked with visiting artists to construct once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for local students to interact with industry professionals.

On May 10, students from three schools who had participated in LuckmanPlus events, celebrated their community engagement with a culminating showcase. Each performance incorporated a variety of dance styles ranging from ballet to hip hop.

One piece charted the history of dance through time, beginning with a tap number performed to the Newsies’ tune “King of New York,” followed by some jazz, ballet, hip-hop and contemporary.

“We were inspired from a dance dialogue workshop where we did African dancing and Bollywood dancing, and it’s just so inspiring to see dances from other cultures. And we just felt that this was a great way to connect to our past,” said a University student.

LuckmanPlus doesn’t just focus on students; in the past, they have worked with senior citizens, foster homes and kids with developmental disabilities. Plus, they do double-duty for the University, heightening awareness about Cal State LA.

“I’ll talk to people who have never been here before and they’ll say they had no idea this was so close to South Pasadena or how nice it is,” said Milos. “How lucky can we get?”