Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

The metrolink has decided to drop fares by 25 percent starting July 1.

MetroLink train from San Bernardino to Los Angeles.

Camille Jessie

Camille Jessie

John Montoya, Contributor

Starting July 1, Metrolink will offer a 25 percent fare reduction to all Metrolink customers riding from San Bernardino-to-Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which is a six-county commuter train service, wants to appeal to new riders; it will provide almost $2 million in order to cut fares over the next five years.

According to Metro, between 2013 and 2018, Metrolink ridership has declined by 16 percent. Statistics show that the weekday riderships have topped at 11,426 in 2013 and have dropped to 9,580 this year.

One factor that has caused Metrolink to drop prices was the development of Metro’s Gold line light rail. The Gold line runs from Downtown Azuza/Citrus College and ends at Union Station. This has effected Metrolink because most people use the Gold line instead.

By promoting the Metrolink, Metro hopes to alleviate traffic congestion throughout Los Angeles.

“Improving Metrolink ridership and service is critical to our joint goals of reducing congestion, improving our air quality and enhancing mobility in the basin,” said Hilda Solis, Metro board member and Los Angeles County Supervisor.

The program’s funds will also benefit students at Cal State LA. Specifically, students have access to a Metrolink station that is located at the south end of campus near interstate 10 and Express Cafe Shop.

“I think this would be a good advantage,” said Emily Sandoval, freshman anthropology major. “College is expensive as it is, so we shouldn’t have to worry about transportation. That should be the least of our worries.”

Students have benefited from having a stop at school and now are excited about the fare reduction program:

“It’s definitely necessary,” said Alejandra Gotayvargas, art major. “If transportation is expensive, it makes it hard for students to get to school. I wouldn’t have made it to school last semester if it wasn’t for the Metro program. Having a discount only benefits me, so I think it’s a great thing.”

As the University’s Summer Session will begin soon, the new discounts will be valuable to many students commuting to and from campus.

1 Comment

One Response to “Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!”

1. Cy Husain on August 1st, 2018 8:27 pm

What would be even better yet would be if they would convert the existing track to light rail from Cal State LA to Union Station. That way people could access Cal State LA on light rail just like the Gold Line, from the rest of the city. They could then transfer to the Metrolink if they wanted to go to San Bernardino. If the light rail from Cal State LA to Union Station just required an ordinary bus like with all the other light rail lines it would save Students and Employees time and money. If Cal State LA were accessible via light rail with just a link to Union Station, it would likely cut down the number of cars that need parking in the area dramatically.

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Alumna New President of Planned Parenthood

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Lifestyle

Cal State LA’s Very Own Takes on the Emmys

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Summer of Video games

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Roaches Continue to Raise Concerns

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Who killed David Josiah Lawson?

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Grad 2025: Initiating Success

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

Lucky For Us, We’ve Got the Luckman

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

LAFC Claims the L.A. Throne

• Metrolink: Prices are Going Down!

DACA and Deferred Action