Primaries are Coming

California’s Primary Election is approaching; important dates and information is enclosed.

The California Primary elections open June 5th, 2018.

Erik Hersman

Erik Hersman

Mary Pace, Contributor

On June 5, 2018, the California Statewide Primary Election is happening. Residents can cast their votes from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Residents seeking to vote in the primary elections must be registered to vote by Monday, May 21, 2018.

Residents can register by going online to the website California Online Voter Registration (https://registertovote.ca.gov). They can also go to the DMV and register through the TouchScreen Terminal or by renewing their IDs. Their information is then automatically directed to the Secretary of State’s official website.

If one decides to vote by mail, they can register and submit a vote-by-mail ballot request by May 29, 2018.

The qualifications for the privilege to vote in the State of California are: one must be a United States Citizen, their residence address is in California, be at least 18 years old or older during Election Day and be in good standing.

According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), one is disqualified from voting if they are “currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court” or if one is “currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony.”

If one has not registered to vote by the May 21 deadline, they can apply for Conditional Voting Registration. According to the California Secretary of State website, a person can conditionally register to vote 14 days prior to or during Election Day.

This process is completed by conditionally registering to vote through the completion of an affidavit of registration (also known as a Voter Registration card). Once received, a voter is given a provisional ballot to vote.

The Secretary of State website has made voting registration an easy task. If an individual would prefer to register to vote in another language, registration is also offered in Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and in Vietnamese.

Voter guides are very important, and the Sacramento Bee Guide is helpful in assisting with what propositions and representatives to vote for. They take one’s zip code and then notify voters about the important propositions happening in their neighborhood. They also have a complete list found on their website: http://c3.thevoterguide.org/v/sacbee18/candidate-index.do.

The California Secretary of State’s Power Search website can also be used to quickly search for contributions to candidates and ballot measures, as well as contributions from individuals, businesses and other campaign committees. It can also be used to search for independent expenditures made to support or oppose candidates or ballot measures. This feature can be found on http://powersearch.sos.ca.gov.

After a qualified voter has registered, they can check their registration status by going to the California Secretary of State’s “Check Your Voter Registration Status” webpage.

As the Primary Election approaches, it is important to remember that it is a privilege to be able to cast a vote and be a part of the decision making process that will benefit and affect citizens and residents of California.

If you are voting online, the polls open on June 5, 2018 at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.

For personally delivered ballots, they must be delivered by the close of polls on Election Day.

For mailed ballots, they must be postmarked or on or before June 5, 2018. They must also be received by county elections no later than June 8, 2018.

Primary’s are approaching; plan ahead and be ready for voting day!