Aces on the Court

Elizaveta Sokolova, Tennis Player, Student

Aces on the Court

Elizaveta (left) and Snezana (right)

Elizaveta (left) and Snezana (right)

J. Aaron Delgado

Elizaveta (left) and Snezana (right)

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

Elizaveta (left) and Snezana (right)

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

Elizaveta Sokolova, Tennis Player, Student

Originally from Moscow, Russia, Elizaveta Sokolova has been playing Tennis since the age of 4 and has competed in various tournaments back home as well as in international tournaments. Since she discovered Tennis, her life has revolved around it and motivates her everyday life. Elizaveta is a graduating senior who is studying computer science with an interest in data science.

Snezana Ivanovic, Tennis Player, Student

Raised in a small town in Ontario, Canada, Snezana Ivanovic has been playing Tennis for eight years, which was greatly influenced by her family’s background in athletics. Back home, she used to play in the snow that was built from the trucks and was a gymnast. Sports have shaped her life as she is a senior Kinesiology major that is exploring the option in exercise and human performance.

Q: What influenced you to become a Tennis Player? 

Elizaveta: When I was four years old, my parents took me to a tennis club and that’s how it started. Then since day one I fell in love with Tennis and I never wanted to stop playing tennis and it’s been my passion, my life, my, everything. It made me want to be better and better every day. Practice hard. Then I had to give up social life to focus on tennis and I would love to practice from early morning till late night. I just loved being on the court.

Snezana: I realized tennis was, this was my sport after an injury that ended my tenure, gymnastics career. Since I could no longer compete in gymnastics, I needed another sport. My brothers were into tennis, so I trained with them. Being of athletic background, I needed to pick up another sport and tennis was it. My family and my brothers were my biggest influence when it comes to tennis.  My brothers played tennis before me and that’s what influenced me to play.

Q: Who are some Athletes that you look up to?

Elizaveta: Roger Federer because the way he is on the court; he’s so professional. He’s respectful. His sportsmanship is great. Just the way he presents himself is beautiful.

Snezana: I look up to Rafael Nadal. I really enjoy how he plays tennis and how intense he is on the court. And my favorite female tennis player is Bethanie Mattek-Sands. I love her style and I like how she plays as a tennis player and I’ve also colored my hair a few times because she has influenced me to do that. She makes you do crazy things such as dying my hair pink.

Q: Are there any other activities or hobbies that you enjoy? 

Elizaveta: I love taking pictures. I love modeling. I like cooking, going to the beach, listening to music. I love nature, like a lot of all the ocean mountains, the sky, the stars, everything just amazes me.

Snezana: Hobbies I enjoy are any athletics and sport. I spend most of my time working out at the gym. I also have a passion for art, painting, sketching and drawing. I like doing oil painting of landscapes.

Q: What brought you to Cal State LA?

Elizaveta: Back home We don’t have college sports so I had to choose either tennis or computer science and I could not, but I knew that if I came to United States I will be able to do both, pursue both of my dreams.  That’s why I came to California and I selected Cal State LA because of its outstanding engineering program and great team. Great coach.

Snezana: The warm weather and beautiful climate of California brought me to Cal State LA and I’m forever thankful for my most caring, compassionate coach, Sandy. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for her guidance and support.

Q: How has Cal State LA helped you pursue your dreams and Career?

Elizaveta: I’ve learned so much and I’ve grown as a person. I’ve grown as a computer scientist, as a tennis player. I’ve made some connections and friends. I have done a lot in four years, so I hope all of that will pay off eventually. 

Snezana: Cal State LA has helped me pursue my dream to work in the athletics field. I originally chose to major in a language, in Spanish, but Cal State LA has shown me my true path to change my major to kinesiology. So I may further pursue my career in the field that I have enjoyed my whole life.

Q: What is your dream job?

Elizaveta: My dream job is to become a famous model!

Snezana: I do not have a dream job in mind. I will explore my options upon graduating.