Summer of Video games

Introducing digital worlds and cutting-edge innovation at E3 2018.

The Mario tank served as one of the many life sized props from _Super Mario Odyssey_ that sat in Nintendo of America_s location in the West Hall at E3 2017

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado

J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor

The biggest week in video games and electronic entertainment returns to the Los Angeles Convention Center this summer by showcasing newly announced titles, as well as those currently in development. Running from June 12 through June 14, Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) is a wonderland for video game developers and aficionados that gives an inside look on the projects publishers have been working on before they are officially announced.

Large E3 letters hanging from the top of the Los Angeles Convention Center in front of the entrance of the South Hall.

Publishers and companies that are showcasing their work include: Microsoft, Nintendo of America, Sony Interactive Entertainment, Bethesda Softworks, Ubisoft Entertainment, Activision, and plenty of others.

J. Aaron Delgado
Fans waited hours in line to play a hands-on demo with Nintendo’s “Super Mario Odyssey” which they received a complimentary Cappy hat upon completing the demo.

While E3 still remains a trade show, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) decided to open the show to the public for the second time in a row based on a first come-first serve basis with gamer passes to allow those who wish to attend the ability to.

While the decision to open the show to the public received backlash from members of both the industry and media, the ESA adjusted the hours for gamer passes to enter the convention center later. Despite entering later, during the week, E3 at the Coliseum will bring fans in attendance and those watching through live streams closer to their favorite game creators with plenty of discussions; Geoff Keighley of the Game Awards will host the stream.

Guests include: Magician Penn Jillette, video game auteur Hideo Kojima, actor Elijah Wood, a 20-year reunion with the cast of Grim Fandango, Co-Studio Head of TreyArch Jason Blundell (Call of Duty: Black Ops 4), the creative team and cast of Square-Enix’s “Tomb Raider”,Oscar nominated filmmaker Darren Aronofsky, the creative team behind the critically acclaimed indie title “Cuphead”, and many more to be announced.

J. Aaron Delgado
Geoff Keighley hosted a reunion with the developers of the “Crash Bandicoot” series for a discussion about the iconic game and the future of the series.

J. Aaron Delgado
Attendees playing a demo for Nintendo_s unique boxing style game “Arms”.

Be sure to follow the University Times online and on social media for live & interactive updates that will feature announcements, hands-on demos, exclusive interviews, videos, photos and much more. Follow the exciting moments of E3 as they unfold at: csulauniversitytimes.com

Gamer Passes can be purchased at E3-Expo.org for $249 in limited quantities, which will grant limited access to the show floor to demo video games, E3 Coliseum, purchase items and various activities.

Developer Preview

Electronic Arts
Press Conference on Saturday June 9, 2018 at 11 AM PT at the Hollywood Palladium

The entrance to EA Play featured giant letters for attendees to take pics with and lounge around.

J. Aaron Delgado
Attendees of EA play had plenty of photo ops such as the iconic couch from “The Sims” series.

Even though Electronic Arts (EA) hosts a separate event at the Hollywood Palladium, EA still manages to reveal projects and build information on their titles in development at their event titled “EA Play” where guests can demo featured games. More details on “Battlefield V”, which will be set in WWII, and their multiplayer role-playing game “Anthem” should be revealed. Other games include: Madden 19, NBA Live 19, and possibly new unannounced titles.

Microsoft
Press Conference on Sunday June 10, 2018 at 1 PM PT at the Microsoft Theater

Microsoft hosted a fan showcase for attendees of Xbox Fanfest 2017 to preview and demo select titles on the Xbox One X.

J. Aaron Delgado
Aaron Greenberg of Xbox posing with a display of the Xbox One X in the South Hall during E3 2017.

After delaying Xbox exclusive title “Crackdown 3”, an update on the game’s development and hopefully a release date should arise. While Walmart Canada (CA) potentially leaked “Gears of War 5” and a new “Forza Horizon” title earlier this month, those titles and any new titles are up in the air as they are yet to be revealed but have the potential to win the crowd if they are to announce any new exclusives at this year’s briefing.

Bethesda Softworks
Press Conference on Sunday June 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM PT at the LA Live Event Deck

Those in attendance were allowed to play a demo for "Fallout 4" VR for the Playstation 4.

J. Aaron Delgado
Pete Hines, Vice President of Press Relations and Marketing for Bethesda, introducing new features for “Fallout: Shelter:, the mobile spinoff game of the “Fallout” series.

“We have a lot to show you this year. Might be our longest E3 Showcase ever? Not sure, but it’s packed,” tweeted Pete Hines, Vice President of Press Relations and Marketing. Bethesda was one of the victims of the Walmart CA leak with their title “Rage 2”; the company was quick to tease the game on social media with photos relating to game and officially confirm the leak shortly after. Being developed by id Software (Doom), Rage 2 is expected to be displayed at their showcase. No other details have been revealed, but many speculate that a new “Elder Scrolls” title or another installment of “Fallout: New Vegas” will be revealed.

Square Enix
Press Conference on Monday June 11, 2018 at 10 AM PT (Online)

J. Aaron Delgado
SquareEnix_s booth showcased all their newly announced titles such as “Life is Strange: Before The Storm”.

Lara Croft returns with her next adventure in “Shadow of the Tomb Raider” which brings her closer to her original incarnation from the first Playstation era as a full fledged Tomb Raider. The long awaited Kingdom Hearts 3 is also expected to reveal more details on the game’s development as well as the critically anticipated Final Fantasy VII remake.

Ubisoft
Press Conference on Monday June 11, 2018 at 1 PM PT at the Orpheum Theater

Attendees were invited to dance on the Ubisoft stage with dancers for the stage demo of "Just Dance 2018".

J. Aaron Delgado
Ubisoft’s large open booth welcomed attendees to demo their games that were featured.

Ubisoft revealed plenty of titles during their Press Conference last year that are “coming soon”. Details on the following titles should be revealed this year: “Beyond Good and Evil 2”, “The Crew 2”, “Skull & Bones”, and “The Division 2”. A new “Splinter Cell” is rumored to be revealed after being leaked by Walmart CA as well as the recent in-game themed event in “Ghost Recon: Wildlands”.

PC Gaming Show
Press Conference on Monday June 11, 2018 at 3 PM PT at the Wiltern

J. Aaron Delgado
The exterior entrance to the South Hall lobby.

Few details have surfaced for this year’s PC Gaming show other than it will be featuring more unannounced games, trailers and new footage than ever before. Generally, new hardware in the PC industry is also showcased.

Sony
Press Conference on Monday June 11, 2018 at 6 PM PT at the Shrine Auditorium

Sony is expected to follow up on their exclusive titles that were announced at their previous press conferences. Hideo Kojima’s highly anticipated “Death Stranding” is among the titles that should be shown as well as Naughty Dog’s follow up to “The Last of Us”. Spider-Man closed the show last year and is set to release this September; Sony could possibly reveal the game’s storyline as well as final details. As usual, there will be surprises and potentially reveal details on their next console.

J. Aaron Delgado
An attendee playing a demo of Playstation 4’s exclusive VR title “Farpoint”.

Nintendo
Press Conference on Tuesday June 12, 2018 at 9 AM PT (Online)

Goombas stacked ontop of eachother that showcase the ability of Mario to take controller of NPC's.

J. Aaron Delgado
Nintendo of America’s display of current and upcoming Amiibo figures that give special features to games when used concurrently.

The Nintendo Switch has come a long way and it’s future shines bright with the support of third party developers and exclusive titles. More details on Metroid Prime 4, Yoshi and possibly Bayonetta 3 should be discussed on their Nintendo Direct but Super Smash Bros. for the Switch is expected to steal the show.

About the Contributor
J. Aaron Delgado, Managing Editor
From protests to San Diego Comic Con, J. Aaron has covered a multitude of subjects but has a keen eye for Arts & Entertainment. When he is not covering events he is mainly studying as a Psychology major, photographing different aspects of life, working in film production, or enjoying everything the world has to offer....