I do have the time I’m just doing something else

Marissa Chavez, Contributing Writer

Being a college student is a busy job; add on work, internships, physical activity and family time and you have one packed schedule. The University Tutorial Center held an information group with tips to manage your time properly and provided many sample schedules and calendars. With a small group of people, students were able to ask all questions and were eager to learn how to regain control of their busy lives.

“I have a heavy load of classes, I’m always late and I’m here to learn what to do before I spin out of control,” fourth year student Brandon Lou said.

The workshop instructed students to get a planner and follow a detailed weekly schedule since it is the quickest and easiest way to plan. You start by including important dates and deadlines, creating a study schedule and then a daily reflection to see what you’re spending your time on. In fact, studies show that you’re more likely to do something if you write it down.

The instructor at the center, Ruby Morales, encouraged students to find their individual balance, what works for you. Without the right place, focus, and time, it’s easy for someone to get distracted with technology which is why there is an app to temporarily lock your phone, so you won’t be tempted- Flipd. Other tips discussed are to note take and color coordinate to bring attention.

“It seems easy to procrastinate and over estimate your time, but it’s not. When I started college, I was overwhelmed and too worried about school but once I started to manage my time and keep a planner with detailed activities, I was able to do everything I wanted, and I was happy again,” said tutorial employee Ruby Morales.

The University Tutorial center has online resources to help manage your time and not feel so consumed by your life at www.calstatela.edu/tutorialcenter. The center can also be reached at 323-343-3971.