Women’s Soccer Clutches 2-0 Shutout

CSUDH blinders give Golden Eagles the upper hand

Cal State LA's Women's Soccer team's post goal celebration was one of two goals that lead them to a 2-0 shutout against Cal State Dominguez Hills on Sept. 26, 2018 at the Jesse Owens Stadium.  Photo: Micheal Griego

Cal State LA's Women's Soccer team's post goal celebration was one of two goals that lead them to a 2-0 shutout against Cal State Dominguez Hills on Sept. 26, 2018 at the Jesse Owens Stadium. Photo: Micheal Griego

Michael Griego, Multimedia Journalist

LOS ANGELES – – California State Los Angeles Women’s Soccer Team, who are third in the standings with 10 points, looked to bounce back in an emotional and physical game at home against California State University Dominguez Hills, in a 2-0 victory last Wednesday.

The Women’s team, 6-3-1, were looking for a win after losing two straight, when they entered Wednesday’s game. Right from the whistle, both teams were going at it, pulling, pushing and shoving, till the Golden Eagles were able to score both goals in the first half.

The first goal came in the 19th minute by midfielder, Ashtyn Bracamonte, and the second came after forward, Anahi Duran, scored on a penalty kick, in the 44th minute.

With recording their fourth shutout of the season, the women’s defense was not the only intense thing about the game. Coaches on the sideline were going at it, yelling back and forth, leading to Head Coach, Isabella Harvey, receiving a yellow card, in the 30th minute for yelling at the referee after the CSUDH goalkeeper did a hard foul on one of her players inside the goal box.

In a highlight moment, coming off a season ending injury last year, Forward, Anahie Duran, scored her first goal of the season, cashing in on the opportunity by kicking in the PK in the closing minutes of the first half. This, after a scoreless second, was the goal that sealed the Golden Eagles fate.

“[Scoring] was definitely something I put into the universe, I told my coach today I’m going to score… Sometimes you take things for granted, and this injury made me realize everything I wanted to accomplish, I just appreciate being with my teammates and coaches,” said Duran, in excitement.

Post game, Coach Harvey was very excited about her Golden Eagles and optimistic on how the game went after their two-game losing streak.

“We played well today, we had a plan and the girls did a great job following it… For us [our goals] is to make it to the championship and make a good run out of it. And we had a little hiccup, and that happens but we still have a lot of games to play, I’m confident this is a good group,” explains Coach Harvey.

Catch the Golden Eagles, continue their win streak against Cal State East Bay, at home this Thursday, October 4th, in the afternoon, and see if they can continue to fly high.

Photo: Micheal Griego

Photo: Micheal Griego