Coach Chamides: An Authority of Soccer

Sitting down with Head Men’s Soccer Coach Chris Chamides.

Michael Griego, Multimedia Journalist

After the their 2017 season resulted in a California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) Championship, the Golden Eagle Men’s Soccer team have not lost momentum. At #8 in the national top-10 according to United Soccer Coaches poll, Men’s soccer are on track to recording their best season ever. This success is in large part attributed by the guidance of Head Coach Chris Chamides, whose hands-on coaching technique is translating to big wins.

The Golden Eagles, 10-1-2, are looking to finish the season strong. With just four games left before the postseason begins, Coach Chamides is using these last few weeks to prepare for the team for the NCAA Tournament and a potential Championship..

“Individually were trying to find little improvements and efficiencies to help each player contribute a little more, day in and day out, and then collectively there’s always things we can work on, in terms of fine tuning how we defend, how we talk, how we transition, so we work on those things every day,” said Coach Chamides, during a post-practice interview.

Success does not come easy for the Golden Eagles. Chamides has everyone brought into the system and prepared on a daily basis:

“The preparation is very important, we asked a lot of the players to prepare every day, and the same thing for us as coaches, we want to be a staff that lays out good training sessions, day in and day out, week in and week out, so we can find the progress they need.”

Chamides, who is in his nineteenth season as the Head Coach of the Men’s Soccer Team, has also been awarded as a seven-time “Head Coach of the Year” and has gained his experience and knowledge through his nine seasons in the MLS, as a Senior Director of Soccer for the San Jose Earthquakes, Assistant Coach for Chivas USA, and currently as a Scout for the Los Angeles Football Club.

“It’s been a good opportunity to stay sharp and stay in the learning mode, and I think that helps our program here,” said Chamides.

Chamides has always had aspirations on being a Head Coach, and when Cal State LA offered him the opportunity, he took full advantage and turned around a losing program into what it is today. With that success, along with Los Angeles being a perfect city for him and his family to live in, there has been no interest for him to seek other opportunities.

“Cal State LA gave me a chance to run a nationally ranked program; that’s something we take pride in,” said Chamides.

The Golden Eagles look ahead as they prepare for the postseason. Coach Chamides leads his crew against UC San Diego this Friday, Oct. 19 in La Jolla, California.