ASI Opens the Floor to Students

Students take time to voice their concerns to ASI at forum.

ASI Opens the Floor to Students

Michael Griego

Michael Griego

Michael Griego

Michael Griego, Multimedia Journalist

Last Thursday, Nov. 8, students filled the Innovation Hub, in the University Library, to voice their campus-wide concerns during the Student Advocacy 101 mixer.

The Senators of Associated Students, Inc. (ASI), who hosted the mixer, offered students lunch as well as reasons why it is beneficial to use the many resources Cal State LA offers. The event functioned as a forum for students to voice their concerns on how the campus and its faculty are operating.

“This is a platform, for us [ASI] to reach out, and for students to reach out to us, and just to let the student community know that there are spaces where they can get involved, and then put in their ideas and suggestions and work with faculty and the university committee, to better student life and also the University,” said Medrik Minassian, a Graduate Academic Senator.

Student concerns varied. Most were concerned about the parking and the lack of. Others were concerned about tuition, healthier food choices, a more diverse campus and why professors factor attendance into the overall grade.

“I’m a commuter, this is a commuter school, everybody knows that… Teachers take attendance into grading heavily… There’s always a problem with getting here and finding parking as well—a concern many people have talked about today. So there’s always that problem like getting to class on time or not making it at all, and there’s some classes where professors; if u miss one class they’ll deduct ten points. I feel they’re not considerate enough, that things happen, which prevents us from getting here,” said Gabriel Garcia, a 3rdyear Communications Major.

The ASI and the students found the mixer to be beneficial as it offered an opportunity to speak on things that might not be known otherwise.

Garcia continued, “Everybody has their own agend. Each person [in ASI] has a different thing to do, they each have a different job. So, unless we come and let them know what’s on our mind and what we want to fix, change won’t happen.”

After the students voice their opinions and concerns, the senators take what they learned and begin the process of discussing them during their bi-weekly meetings.

“As senators, what we do is we sit in these committees, and we’re just going to voice the concerns and push them to be put on upcoming agendas,” said Analiz Marmolejo, an Undergraduate Academic Senator.

To contact student senators, visit the ASI office on the second floor in the Student Union Building.