Unity in the Student Fabric

Community Unity Day provides students with cultural inclusion.

Unity in the Student Fabric

Michael Griego, Multimedia Journalist

Last Tuesday, Associated Student Incorporation (ASI) hosted Community Unity Day, where students of all ethnic backgrounds were welcomed.  The event allowed students to represent their culture while participating in several activities at the Student Union Plaza.

The event attendees were first entertained with performances by several ethnic groups that represented different parts of the world including: Brazil, Korea and Africa. Each group danced and sung to the sounds made popular by their respected culture.

The main purpose of the event was to bring students together and to show them how diverse Cal State LA is. According to ASI, the event would help in uniting the campus and would be beneficial for students to learn from the different cultures that make up the student body.

“It’s good to learn from other cultures so we can grow from them,” said Krystal Rubio, an ASI Diversity and Inclusion Officer.

Attendees were able to get creative and share their cultural backgrounds by adding their personal touch to the ASI’s unity quilt. Single cut squares were provided, along with markers and pens to decorate the squares that would later be attached to the finalized quilt.

The ASI was able to show the diversity that Cal State LA possess through the unity quilt project. Each quilt piece represented a different student’s cultural traditions displayed through words and illustrated images.

“We’re going to create a really big quilt out of all the different pictures, and we’re going to hang it for everyone to see the different cultures and the unity we have here at Cal State LA,” said Priya Karamchandani, an Study Abroad Student Assistant.

As for students, some believe that having these types of events shows them that they have the support from Cal State LA.

“I think it’s very important to have events like this and make them outside and more visible to other students of different cultures to really say that Cal State LA is here to support, love, cater to our needs and make sure we feel included here on campus,” said Davona Watson, a Pan-African major.

To view the Unity Quilt, visit the Student Union where it will be displayed until the end of the Fall semester.