Grand Ending to the Golden Eagles’ Lone Win

Anthony Quach and Isaac Gutierrez

On Saturday, Feb. 16, the Cal State LA men’s baseball team began a four-game California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) series against the Cal State San Bernardino Coyotes, starting with a home-opening doubleheader at Reeder Field.

The Golden Eagles dropped both games of the doubleheader, losing the first game, 3-1 and the second game 14-2.

Saxon Andross got the opening day start for the Golden Eagles, pitching six strong innings and giving up two runs on four hits. He allowed only one walk and struck out five.

Both of his earned runs came in the fourth inning when a bloop single by the Coyotes’ designated hitter (DH) Garrett Ouellette drove in a pair of runs, breaking the scoreless tie. Also in the fourth, Golden Eagles second basemen Jordan Peabody was taken out of the game due to a dislocated shoulder; he is day-to-day.

The Golden Eagles’ team captain Spencer Sundahl accounted for their only run, blasting a solo home run in the sixth, cutting the lead 2-1.

The Coyotes answered back right away with another run in the seventh, and they would hold on to that lead to defeat the Golden Eagles 3-1.

Despite picking up the loss, Andross remains optimistic about his performance.

“I actually felt strong about my performance today. I just know I got to go out there and pound the strike zone and if I pound the strike zone, I got the defense behind me,” said Andross.

The second game went sour for the home team, as the Golden Eagles were hammered 14-2 in the nightcap of the doubleheader.

Jackson Bond took the mound for the Golden Eagles and ran in trouble early in the game as he gave up seven-earned-runs in 4 innings. The knuckleballer was unable to get the movement on his pitches due to the windy atmosphere at Reeder Field.

“I think the most important thing for me is not to be afraid of failure,” said Bond. “I feel like it was a big stepping stone today. This is my first college start, and I feel like I’m going to build on this and continue to develop.”

The series shifted to Fiscalini Field on Sunday, Feb. 17, as the Golden Eagles traveled to CSU San Bernardino for another doubleheader as they look to split the four-game series.

Despite dropping the home openers, Golden Eagles Head Coach Vince Beringhele remains confident in a turn-around.

“We’ll get a lot of rest tonight and be hungry to go tomorrow. They’ll show up ready to play, I’m not worried about that,” said Beringhele.

The first game of Sunday’s doubleheader ended in grand style, as the Golden Eagles stunned the Coyotes 10-7 for their first CCAA win of the season.

With the Coyotes leading 7-6 in the top of the ninth, center fielder Jordan Myrow delivered a go-ahead grand slam to give the Golden Eagles a 10-7 lead. Relief pitcher Micah Hee secured the win with a scoreless ninth inning.

The second game was postponed during the third inning due to rainfall, with the Coyotes leading 5-1. According to the Cal State LA baseball page, a remake game has yet to be scheduled.

The Golden Eagles return to action on Friday, Feb. 22 as they travel to Seaside, CA to begin a four-game road series against the CSU Monterey Bay Otters.

About the Writers
Anthony Quach, Sports Editor

Anthony Quach is a journalism major in his senior year at California State University, Los Angeles. He began as a contributing writer for the University...

Isaac Gutierrez, Copy Editor

Isaac Gutierrez strives to be a baseball journalist and one day have a Hall of Fame vote. He is the copy editor for Cal State LA’s University Times newspaper....