ASI Election Season

ASI Election Season

Photo courtesy ASI.

Photo courtesy ASI.

Photo courtesy ASI.

Photo courtesy ASI.

Monica Tamayo, P.R. Assistant

Student elections for the 2019 – 2020 Associated Students, Incorporated (ASI) presidency are around the corner. This year there are two candidates running for ASI President. Students will have the opportunity to vote for their next student leader on March 26 and March 27.

“My overall goal for the university is to increase the involvement and engagement with students. I would like to create that welcoming environment where students have the opportunity to build relationships with other students”, said Jessal Salas, ASI Elections and Outreach Commissioner.

Students will have the opportunity on Wednesday, March 13 to meet and greet the candidates before locking in their vote in the U-SU Plaza. This year’s presidential race is between Aaron Castaneda and Prince Alansan Sesay.

Aaron Castaneda is a fourth year Finance major with a minor in Marketing. For the last 40 years, his family has consisted of Cal State LA alumni. Specifically, Castaneda has been involved with ASI for three years. His goal, if elected president, is to “address the food and housing insecurity, financial aid reform and fighting against tuition increases”. Castaneda’s goal is to also hold the university’s administration accountable by strengthening the communication for all students.

Prince Sesay is a transfer student from San Bernardino Valley College majoring in Social Work. He migrated to the United States over 10 years ago from Sierra Leone. Sesay hopes to assist students with housing insecurity, to create better communication between the administration and students and create an open space for students to freely express their opinions.

Beginning March 26, students will be able to cast their vote through GET. Announcement of next academic year’s president will be made on March 28 at 4pm at the U-SU Board of Directors Results Reveal. Students and staff will also have the opportunity to meet and speak with the newly elected 2019 – 2020 ASI Administration and Board of Directors.