New Cal State L.A. Campus Set to Open in January 2016

Jake Kozak

An artist’s rendering of how the downtown LA campus may look.

In January 2016, Cal State L.A. will be opening a new campus in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. The new campus will be located in an existing high-rise building in the south edge of the Financial District.

Although the College of Professional and Global Education will be managing the new facility, all of the Cal State L.A. colleges will be involved in the new campus. According to Eric Bullard, dean of the College of Professional and Global Education, “It really is a Cal State L.A. campus, not just an extension site.”

However, students currently attending classes at the main campus are not likely to take classes at the downtown campus when it opens next year. The new campus’s emphasis will be on recruiting students from the local community who are not currently enrolled at Cal State L.A.

Dr. Bullard explains, “We can use the downtown campus as a way to provide new opportunities for people who would have never otherwise attended Cal State L.A.” He suggests the new campus will allow the university to create new programs that will integrate with “various sectors” of the local downtown L.A. community.

According to Dr. Bullard, the population of downtown L.A. is well educated, with approximately 85% of the population having earned a bachelor’s degree. Some of the possible educational programs will be aimed at people interested in earning certificates and master’s degrees. “We think a big part of the audience will be people who want to go the next step,” Bullard adds.

A current view of the building depicted in the artist’s rendering.

The neighborhood in which the new campus will be situated has seen a large amount of new construction recently. For example, a luxury loft building is currently under construction across the street from the new campus, which will include a Whole Foods market in its floor level.

Cal State L.A. has signed a 10-year lease at the 801 South Grand Avenue location with an option to expand to additional floors as necessary. The building has an integrated parking structure and access to the building is secured and monitored 24/7. Details regarding transportation between the two campuses are still pending.