Asher Set To Coach At Olympic Trials, World Juniors

Public Affairs

LOS ANGELES – Cal State L.A.’s men’s and women’s track and field and women’s cross country coach Christopher Asher is about to embark on a busy – and monumental – summer.

Asher, who guided the Golden Eagles to outstanding performances in 2011-12, will be heading to Oregon this weekend for the U.S. Olympic Trials before embarking as a coach for Team USA at the World Junior Championships in Barcelona, Spain in early July.

Asher was one of eight coaches selected by USA Track and Field for an educational mentorship grant for the Olympic Trials. Asher will be mentoring for St. Augustine College’s George Williams, who has led his programs to 31 national championships and also serves as the school’s athletic director. Williams was the men’s head coach of Team USA in the 2004 Summer Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.

“I am very excited about this opportunity to continue my growth in the sport of track and field,” Asher said. “Coach Williams has coached several U.S. and International performers as well as coaching St. Augustine’s to its many NCAA team championships. The knowledge I gain from this experience will benefit our programs’ success here at Cal State L.A.”

After the Olympic Trials, Asher will be on his way to Barcelona, where he will be the men’s sprints-hurdles and relays coach for Team USA. Asher is one of four coaches on the men’s staff headed by Steve Fritz, an assistant coach at Kansas State. He will depart for Spain with the relay teams on July 5; the competition runs from July 10-15.

“I am truly excited and humbled to be selected as the sprints coach for Team USA at the World Junior Championships,” Asher said. “It has been a career goal of mine to serve on a Team USA staff for an international competition and I am very appreciative to USA Track and Field for this opportunity. I am about winning and my expectation will be for Team USA to bring home a lot of medals!”

Asher just completed his 10th year as Cal State L.A.’s head coach for women’s cross country, women’s indoor track and field and men’s and women’s outdoor track and field. The Golden Eagles topped the California Collegiate Athletic Association with 17 individual champions at the conference track and field championship meet, which was hosted by Cal State L.A. at Jesse Owens Track. The men’s team had a dominating performance in the sprints, winning titles in the 100, 200, 400, 4×100 relay and 4×400 relay. Cal State L.A.’s men won a total of 10 events, while the women claimed seven. Cal State L.A. also had its third national champion in the past two years when Calista Lyon won the NCAA Division II title in the discus.

The women’s cross country team finished a surprising third in the conference, just missing out on second place, while the women’s indoor track team produced a pair of All-Americans to highlight its season.

In Asher’s 10 years at Cal State L.A., the Golden Eagles have earned five individual national championships, 85 All-America awards and 83 individual CCAA championships, including 27 in the past two years.