Golden Eagles Add Another Top Player To Basketball Program

Public Affairs

LOS ANGELES – Cal State L.A.’s women’s basketball team has added a promising forward to its program, Golden Eagle head coach Janell Jones announced on Monday.

Bree Parsons, a 5-foot-11-inch forward from Terrigal, Australia, will join the Golden Eagles, Jones said. Parsons has been a player for the New South Wales Institute of Sport since 2006 and will have four years of eligibility with the Golden Eagles.

Parsons played for New South Wales’ Under-20 team in 2012 and, as a shooting guard, helped the team to a bronze medal. She also played for the Hornsby ABA Women’s Team.

“We are pleased to add another skilled Australian basketball player in Bree,” Jones said. “She is a multi-talented player and will bring depth to our forward position. Having four years of eligibility will be important as we continue to grow and develop our women’s basketball program.”

Parsons was also a member of the Australian under-17 national developmental squad and captained her school basketball team to a third-place finish at nationals. She was also the Gosford City Rebels’ Female Player of the Year in 2007, 09 and 10.

Parsons is the sixth talented newcomer to join the Cal State L.A. program. Earlier, the Golden Eagles announced the signing of high school stars Kaija Powell of Mater Dei High School, Shanice Jackson of Anaheim Canyon High School and Chiara DiMarco from Dos Pueblos High School, New Mexico State transfer Paige Melville and Kelli Lewis, a transfer from University of the Pacific.

Cal State L.A. was one of the most improved programs in the nation last season. The Golden Eagles were 18-12 and reached the title game of the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament after thrilling tourney wins over Cal Poly Pomona and UC San Diego.

The Golden Eagles also made it to the NCAA playoffs for just the second time in the program’s history before falling in the first round to eventual region champion Alaska Anchorage in a hard-fought game.

GO TO http://www.csulaathletics.com/ for more sports coverage!